Olympus OM-D E-M10 IV vs OM-D E-M1 Mark I

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

49COE

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Thinking about upgrading from my TG-6 into something more complicated, but hopefully better. Currently looking at either a new OM-D E-M10 Mark IV package from Backscatter or a used setup with something like an OM-D E-M1 Mark 1 for example. Any thoughts on a the new entry model camera vs the old flagship camera? Thanks.

The E-M1 had a short rein as flagship, but the Mark II was a solid improvement and is still in use by lots of divers. Mind my asking what itch the TG isn’t scratching?

There is a good chance that my issues with the TG are due to user error/incompetence. In fact, that is probably the more likely scenario. The issues that I have been having are lack of definition when trying to zoom and crop after taking the picture. Focusing issues. It seems like more often than not my intended subject is out of focus. Lackluster wide angle performance. I guess the itch that I am trying to scratch is basically something with better focusing and low light performance. Also I am intrigued by the possibility of messing around with the manual controls without the TG caveats of "it's not really changing the manual settings as intended". What I would really love to do is have the opportunity to try out a different rig and see if it is an improvement or if it shows me that I didn't know how good I had it with the TG. Backscatter seems to love the EM10 IV, but I also realize that they are in the business of trying to sell me another camera whether I need it or not. The older, used rig is appealing of maybe getting a better camera for less money. I guess that is at the heart of my original question. Is an older flagship type camera better that a new entry level?

The TG's strong suit is definitely macro. For wide angle, manual control, and faster midrange focusing, the bigger cameras will likely give you better images after you dial yourself in. What are you using for lighting? Focus and enough definition to crop images definitely depends as much on good lighting as on steady hands, and lots of TG users find wide-angle comfort in the wide wet lenses. I expect you could find a rental rig on one of the camera sites (Backscatter, Bluewater, others) for some testing, although the learning curve is steep. I really like Martin Edge's book, The Underwater Photographer, which includes the spectrum of equipment from compact to DSLR; if you haven't read it, or something like it, it might be a good precursor to an investment decision.

The EM-10/IV kits from Backscatter range from $3300 to $4300, with the camera and some glass but without a tray, arms, clamps, strobes (don't let anyone tell you one is enough for wide-angle) and cables, a way to trigger the strobes, a focus light (and possibly a video light), an extra battery or two, maybe an external charger, a way to carry it all . . . so you're pretty quickly at $5-7k, assuming you're ok with Backscatter's proprietary housing (which I assume is of good quality--they're a good company). The 10/IV has the same sensor as the "former flagships" M1/II and M3/III, and has five-axis IBIS, which is great, mostly for topside use. And everything would be under warranty, of course.

Could you find a used but in great shape E-M1/II or /III for significantly less? A good place to get a feel for the used market is the Classified forums here and/or on Wetpixel, where a Nauticam M1/II housing recently sold for $1,000. Used bodies rated EX are around $600-700 on KEH. If you could find good used strobes, they'd still be $700-1100 for a pair. A couple of lenses, a couple of ports . . . I think you're at about the same place, said and done.

I did a few hundred dives with an OM-1 Mark II system, and it made me happy. A lot of folks are still using them and will be for awhile, but they'll trickle onto the used market. But I don't think you'd save much, or see a ton of benefit, by trying to put together a used kit rather than going with the M10/IV.

Happy shooting!

I vote for EM1-II and Nauticam housing second hand (several are available now at a good price). Still one of the best MFT cameras for UW...

EM1-I is inferior to EM10-IV in almost all aspects, I would not consider EM1-I...

Wolfgang

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom