Utility regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pesky,

Sounds like a great project, but please tell me you are retired or at least all the kids are grown. I back-burnered (if that is a word) my aviation O2 bottle w/regulator conversion project over a year ago and sometimes wish I had not even started.

Fair dues to you, keep the report coming.

couv

Retired curmudgeon, Andy Rooney on steroids, LOL. Glad to hear somebody is reading my stuff. I figure that as long as I am working the regulator project it should be documented. When diving season starts, I'll be scarce, working on the boat and such; now, there is a real project.

Retired curmudgeon...

Good for you...I re-wifed a few years back made a few more rug rats...so looks like I will be at the mill for quite some time.

Glad to hear somebody is reading my stuff. I figure that as long as I am working the regulator project it should be documented....

Documenting it in public like this keep you focused on the job an less likely to ignor that green bottle with the funny regulator mounted on it.

c

The regulator is complete. Testing the free flow outlet it became apparent that the "mayfit" disposable, medical mask will not provide adequate O2 percentage due to leaks. The elastic band is too weak to press the mask against the face and will not form a good seal. I replaced the band with surgical tubing. This is done by tying the tubing to the mask with small zip ties. The tubing must be tight and placed high on the head to pull the mask securely against the face. The mask open port was taped over. Also, I adjusted the Conshelf to 120 psi.

Remember, the purpose of the project was to replace equipment normally supplied for oxygen therapy with something suitable for divers. The problems were:

Flimsy yokes; the obsolete washer system which is designed for low pressure, and which leaks when slightly used, become lost, and/or needs special replacement washer discs with O rings.
Regulators which offer no commonality with diver's equipment. Low pressure regulators which supply inadequate flow and require special, low pressure demand valves for the DISS port.
Low pressure cylinders with inadequate capacity for effective, sustained treatment.
Regulators which require a wrench to attach (CGA-540) and may seal or not.
Cylinder valves which require a wrench to turn on/off.
Cylinders which require special yokes or CGA-540 nipples to fill.

The Conshelf will connect to and operate with common SCUBA tanks filled with oxygen or air. It will simultaneously serve a free flow mask and SCUBA type demand regulator. It will operate air tools. The Conshelf is equipped with a relief valve. The heavy duty yoke is reliable up to 4000 psi.

I'll furnish pics in a couple days.

Last edited:
Clockwise: HP gauge, LP gauge, QD, relief valve, hose barb.

103_0369.JPG
[/IMG][/IMG]

103_0368.JPG
[/IMG]

I like it....thanks for taking the time to post the information and pictures....here is hoping you will only need the deco regulator and not the mask.

c

Thanks, couv; ever since I got bent in 1999, I have been more conscious of the hazard.

Some final notes; these have to do with obtaining the right adapter for the right orifice. Some components do not have to be made of oxygen compatible metals due to the low pressure. However, the regulator orifice, all that I've seen anyway, are chrome plated brass which is good. Whether one can obtain a stainless or brass adapter for it depends on the thread size of the orifice. Northeast Scuba sells an SS adapter for 1/4 npt. So, the old style orifice with that thread will fit. The orifice sold by AirGas is for the new type, compact regulators. The orifice and barb are built into a single small fitting with 1/8 npt. So, the Northeast adapter will not work unless a bushing is inserted. Alternately, Speedway Motors sells a plated steel adapter which will work. Two of the Speedway adapters are visible on the utility regulator, for the orifice and the LP gauge.

Very nice setup, I have been debating setting up something similar with a full face mask and demand valve...

Does your barbed outlet shut off or does it always flow when pressurized? I was thinking that a constant flow barb would be a good thing to have on a quick disconnect since you would likely only need the demand valve or constant flow. What do you think?

What percentage of O2 are you filling the tanks with and where are you getting them filled?

Back
Top Bottom