Utilalodge in Honduras

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hi again,

Yeah, I might have to agree with Stephen on the money issue. I have no idea how much the Lodge charges you, but there's a lot of cheap accomodation and food on the island. I think it boils down to deciding how much money you want to spend on having your meals served on the same time every day etc. and having everything prearranged so you don't have to worry about anything. But there's not a hell of a lot to worry about on Utila, so I know what I'd do.. Just don't be surprised if you go out to eat with a group when there is an hour or so between when the first one gets their food and the last. Islandtime, gotta love it.
Have a good time!

cheers

SubQ

Dee:
We have non-stop flights on TACA from Houstion IAH to Roatan. We have friends who take that flight then take the ferry to Utila.

I'll try to get caught up on the local knowledge for travel.
I expect I'll shoot to Houston and then work it out from there.

SubQ:
I have no idea how much the Lodge charges you, but there's a lot of cheap accomodation and food on the island.
SubQ

$745 US. Dive Package includes: Double occupancy, air conditioned accommodations, 3 full meals daily, 3 boat dives daily including 2 night boat dives, tanks, weights, and belts, kayaks and canoes, welcome cocktail, airport transfers (roundtrip Utila airstrip to resort) .

TCooperWFI:
$745 US. Dive Package includes: Double occupancy, air conditioned accommodations, 3 full meals daily, 3 boat dives daily including 2 night boat dives, tanks, weights, and belts, kayaks and canoes, welcome cocktail, airport transfers (roundtrip Utila airstrip to resort) .

hmm, you mean this is the price for one person at double occupancy.
lets say you go diving for 6 days and do 20 dives. At $125 for ten dives that would be $250.
Food/Drink for 8 days: 8 times $20= $160 (thats eating a LOT)
Hotel for 7 nights: 7 times $15=$105
Don't know if you need to pay more for equipment but lets put another 100 down for that-> $100
Ignore "transfer"-> (10 minute cabride)
that totals 615.
Thats my guess, you can probably get a cheaper hotel and eat less..
I don't know what I'd do really. 745 doesn't seem expensive, but its still more than my estimate at what you'd spend if you got everything separately.
Good luck deciding!
Cheers,
SubQ

Just for the sake of science, I may try it both ways and report which is best.
The lengths I will go to, to improve a thread! :wink:

I would fly from Houston to San Pedro Sula, then fly via Sosa Airline to Utila. It stops at La Ceiba on the way, last year it only costs about $120 round trip.

Wow SubQ, $20 per day on food/drink is a high estimate. Frosty blender daquiries are only 20 lempira ($1.10), and i could only eat about $10 worth a day and that included breakfast at Thompson's bakery (hot johnny cakes and fresh juice in a plastic bag), local lunch and dinner at The Mango Inn (wood fired,brick oven pizzas, grilled fish and other delicacies). Don't miss the Gelateria, home made ice cream!

Do the research TC, it is such a kick-back, relaxed place that having anything but diving and hotel locked in could be limiting. Oh yea, definately take few days not diving to check out some surface fun. Kayaking through the canal to the north shore is great fun. Private beaches await you, we brought a picnic lunch and made a day of it, The paddle takes about 1 1/2 hours one way, but it goes throught the mangroves. Lots of crabs, iguanas and birds to sneak up on and check out. There are also fresh water caves near the airport. It takes a little speelunking to get in, but once in the cave you can swim under water with your torch to another little room.Stalagtites and such, all lit by candle light. If this interests you, ask one of the young DM's on th eisland about it. They usually will know how to get there and might even go with you on their day off. Water Cay is also a nice day off. It's a abandon little island that you can be dropped off on for the day. It's about 100 meters long and 20 meters wide, great snorkeling and a perfect place to drink some rum, lay on the beach or in a hammock. The boat will come back and pick you up at a pre-set time all this for 30 lempira($2).

peace,
Stephen

ps make sure to dive the site called Pinnacles. The dive corkskrews you through a cave, actually an ancient lava tube, from the top of the wall at 50ft and leaves you on the wall at 110 ft. Super dive!

For some more economically feasible lodging and transportation options, please see the photo on my profile.

Can't beat the prices!!! :bang:

Hey, Coop,

Been there 3 times in past year. Would suggest you get there, catch the taxi to town, spend 1st night in Hotel Rose. You can walk around, check on prices, etc. You can find rooms for $5.00 night. It is safe at night. Deep Blue divers is a good place to dive with. They offer a ten dive package for about $125.00 You can check with them at WAVES222@AOL.com. Then if you still wish you can do the all inclusive thing. Utila Lodge is the only All Inclusive that is right in town. You can tell them I said "hello". Where did you find your neat avatar??

Regards,

Paul

Back
Top Bottom