Utilalodge in Honduras

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TCooperWFI:
Has anyone been to the Utilalodge in Honduras?www.utilalodge.com

It's look okay on the web, but there's nothing like a first hand opinion.
Thx.

TC

Going there in April. The folks in my dive club said its a great place. Not much to do but dive...my kinda vacation. They said the bugs were the only bad thing and warned me to bring lots of DEET.

Cheers

JC

Would love to hear how it goes.
I'll watch the weather, I noticed they only have 8 rooms with AC.

TC

Haven't stayed on Utila, we always stay in Roatan. But if you go before May, the daytiome temps are only in the 80's and you shouldn't need A/C. After that, it gets hot down there. Even being from the Texas Gulf Coast, the heat is more than we care to deal with. Good thing is you'll be underwater or near it most of the day!

hi TC,

I've worked at the school associated with the lodge (BICD) and I think it's a great place to stay on Utila. Its clean and well kept and has a very nice atmosphere. Also, the boat they use is a nice one with "Willy the boatcaptain" having a good eye for spotting whalesharks.

Something else, if you go and have the time, take a peak under the dock. It is obviously very shallow and I would not venture under there if you haven't got good buoyancy skills, but I have seen some very interesting critters hanging around. On one dive I saw a shortnosed batfish (you can look it up), an octopus, a meter long barracuda (who goes by the name of Harry) a school of sardines (which is why Harry has taken up residence) and a flying gurnard.

If you dont get an all inclusive deal, take a walk to CrossCreek diving school, they have a real Haute Cuisine chef (Dave) hidden away in their restaurant.

Enjoy!

Cheers,
SubQ

P.S. jchoby, something that will keep the bugs off at night is a plain old ventilator. It will also keep you from needing A.C. although I much doubt you will need one anyway.

I don't know what your looking for, but staying at the lodge I feel is a waste of money. There are clean basic rooms with a private bathroom for much less and all dive shops have 10 dive packages at $125+tax. I stay at the Hotel Rose and for $15/night I get a clean room ensuite with a fan and cable TV, not fancy but there is a fridge and unlimited bottled water in the lobby. The restaurants on the island are great and cheap. A half pound grilled piece of fish with three sides costs about $6 at as many as five or so different places. Local deliacies for lunch such as pastellitos and balladas can cost as little as 30 cents.

Oh yeah, the diving...as good as it gets in the caribean. I dive at Alton's, and Joe the boat captain was able to find three whale sharks for us last March on my birthday. Wonderful walls, seamounts and reefs alive with life.

Enjoy your holiday no matter where you stay!

Peace,
Stephen

Thanks Stephen,

Now I may move my travel date up a couple of weeks!

TCooperWFI:
That makes it easy being in Houston, do you have non-stop flights?

We have non-stop flights on TACA from Houstion IAH to Roatan. We have friends who take that flight then take the ferry to Utila.

Back
Top Bottom