Utila ReDux 7/25/2009 Dive Trip to the unspoiled Reefs near Roatan!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Charlie J

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
About 20 of us Scubaboarders made the trek to Utila in August 2005, a small island off the coast of Honduras, just north of the island of Roatan of diving fame.

Why? For the diving of course! What we found were unparalleled conditions clear water, usually with 100 ft visibility (we thought it was terrible when we had only 80+ ft.!), warm waters 82 degrees, reef life abounding on unspoiled, untouched reefs. Utila boasts the second largest barrier reef in the world, and wall diving with nothing but 3,000 ft of deep blue water below you! And, best of all?very few other divers! There are only a few dive resorts and diving operations on Utila, compared to the major dive attractions of Cozumel, Bonaire, and, of course, Roatan. So we had an incredible, wonderful week of diving! For some of the photos, check out my photos - I apologize for their poor quality - I was just getting started!

Hosted by Deep Blue Utila, Steve made us feel at home with three dives a day (two night dives), unlimited shore diving and plenty of home-cooked food for hungry divers, you couldn't ask for better hospitality or a more knowledgeable dive operation.

SO WE ARE GOING BACK!!!! :D

About five of us have committed to return this year, from July 25th through August 1. We need another 15 people to round out the trip and you will NOT regret joining us!

Here's the link to Deep Blue Utila - so you can see for yourself what they're about.

Basic Cost Information:

Airfare is reasonable (as of 4-6-09) to the major entry point of Honduras, San Pedro Sula (SAP) and was running $400 to $550 round trip from major cities (Columbus $400, Atlanta $335 , LA $550, Pittsburgh $400, Raleigh/Durham $450). The hopper from SAP to Utila is about $220 round trip, adding up to a total of about $620 to $770 to get there and back.

The resort (lodging, food and diving) is an inexpensive $850 for the full week, and they pick us up from the Utila airport and take us to the resort. Some add-on's: Nitrox for week $125, Single supplement, $300, Honduras Tax is $136 per diver with an additional Reef fee of $24.

A deposit for one night ($116) is due upon reservation, and the balance for the week stay is due on May 26th. All funds will be handled directly with Deep Blue Utila. They can also book the hopper from San Pedro Sula to Utila for you and you pay them!

IF we book the resort (20 total), Kristi and I will rebate to everyone a significant portion of the resort costs we expect that to be around $75 per person, bringing the resort cost to only $775!

SO bottom line is about $1550 for a full week of diving in the pristine waters off Honduras and memories worth thousands more!

PM me for more details We'll post more information later!

Last edited:
I'm in and I can't wait! :D

Getting closer timewise. Is anyone diving this summer? Prices at this resort can't be beat!!!

I will not be able to make this trip. Keep me in mind for others.

Darn looks like some fellow West Virginians are headed to Utila but we will just miss each other... im arriving on the first and staying the month, splitting time between cross creek and possibly Laguna beach or Deep Blue. I hope u have a great time and post a trip report when u get back as the current political sitch has a lot of folks fidgity about the Bay Islands...Personally i cant wait!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom