Utila Aggressor Last Week

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's common with accidents that no one can offer much info other than the local authorities or the operator, neither of which want to as that would be bad for business.

sorry put the buddy thing a little harsh but i tend to be a little parinoid and check on my buddy just to give a look every 3to4 minutes ore so and expect the same and not quoteing padi but after less than a minute if he was diving whith a buddy and could not see him. he should have surfaced for help. i was not on the boat but was very close the seas were bad! and any prudent diver would ore should not have been in the water alone. this is the policy of most of the dive resorts down there . and yes it only takes seconds for somone to disapear. We are all responsible for our self first then our budy . have a nice day

sorry put the buddy thing a little harsh but i tend to be a little parinoid and check on my buddy just to give a look every 3to4 minutes ore so and expect the same and not quoteing padi but after less than a minute if he was diving whith a buddy and could not see him. he should have surfaced for help. i was not on the boat but was very close the seas were bad! and any prudent diver would ore should not have been in the water alone. this is the policy of most of the dive resorts down there . and yes it only takes seconds for somone to disapear. We are all responsible for our self first then our budy . have a nice day

I don't know if he had a buddy or not, so I'm just speculating here. However, even with a buddy, this may not have been avoidable. As you said, it takes only seconds for someone to disappear. If you're checking on them every 3 to 4 minutes, they could be long gone before you notice.

Buddyoscar, if you stay side to side with your buddy, you always have them in sight - in your peripheral vision at the very least. On a night dive, you've also got their light in front and to the side of you to verify their proximity and easily communicate. Checking every 3 - 4 minutes can put a lot of space between you and your buddy.

side by side every three too for minuts point is checking on youre budy i dive a lot of low vis conditions and wouldnt dive alone that said . when on vacation every time ive been in the water i see people whith 100 plus dives whith out a clue .

Diving is a great hobby, but sometimes stuff happens to even the very best. Consider last weeks cave diving accident in Australia involving a very experienced diver.

I am thinking we will never know what happened in this case because no details seem to be coming out.

Sure there are divers out there without a clue, but most that I have run into take their diving seriously and work on their skills. When I see things like this, I am reminded to do my best to make sure it doesn't happen to me or the divers in my family.

I think that's the best we can do.

I agreewhith u. while at coco veiw that week the day the diver went missing i witnessed more than on wave blast over the boat that being the aggressor whitch at the time was anchored to the reef to the left of newmans wall. and the coco boats did not go out. nor would they allow shore diveng . the next morning things were a lot calmer. the weather seemed to becoming down both sides of the island several boats could not get back to there respective docks and had to truck there people back to there resorts and that was the morning dive. whith that in mind I was still able to in five days get 25 great dives in . awsome wall diving!

Just returned Saturday aboard Utilla Agerssor. Great trip, very profeshional outfit. Dives were great. We at times push ourselves beyond our limits. Thats why we sign waivers. Operators do not have crystal balls to see the future. I'll not reach conclusion until all facts are in. Had a great time, would go back tomorrow if i could.

Just got back this Saturday 3/5/11 on Utila Agressor. Had a great dive experience with this charter. Very professional outfit. I will not jump to conclusion until all facts are in. Accidents occure at the best dive operations. We sign waivers with the knowledge that diving can be dangeros. We at times, deny to acknoledge our physical and mental abilities for what they truly are and push it beyond our limits.

Just got back this Saturday 3/5/11 on Utila Agressor. Had a great dive experience with this charter. Very professional outfit. I will not jump to conclusion until all facts are in. Accidents occure at the best dive operations. We sign waivers with the knowledge that diving can be dangeros. We at times, deny to acknoledge our physical and mental abilities for what they truly are and push it beyond our limits.[Would go back tomorrow if i could/QUOTE]

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom