Utila Aggressor Last Week

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hawkeye Mark

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I hadnt seen anything posted but a coworker and her husband were at Laguna Beach in Utila last week. Apparently the Utila Aggressor lost a diver(not found). Anyone know anything about this.

I've heard diver never surfaced from a monday night dive, a search took place with no luck. Divers body was recovered the same week on Thursday... Unknown cause at this time. hopefully somebody with more information can confirm that?

Thats correct it was a night dive. About all I know.

Has anyone heard any more about the missing diver/fatal accident on the UA II and whether it actually happened? I'm curious as I was aboard the UA II the week before (Feb 5-12, 2011) the alleged incident - overall a good trip and I didn't see anything that bothered me in terms of dive safety, but I am wondering why this thread has become silent.

I was in Utila and Roatan the last two weeks. We heard about the missing diver on the UA II a couple days after it happened. Then last week while in Roatan, our DM told us that the body was found in Nicaragua the Thursday after the diver went missing. There doesn't seem to be any other information. I looked on the boards when we first heard, but it's silent. My heart goes out to the person's family.

...the body was found in Nicaragua...
Not likely. At least not unless he got there on a boat. The current sweeps north along the east coast of Honduras. There's a little "looping" in the bay of Honduras, but anything lost there ain't heading south around the northeast corner of Honduras.
Rick

Not likely. At least not unless he got there on a boat. The current sweeps north along the east coast of Honduras. There's a little "looping" in the bay of Honduras, but anything lost there ain't heading south around the northeast corner of Honduras.
Rick

Just passing on what I heard from our DM... Unfortunately, it seems like this whole thing will be word-of-mouth since there doesn't seem to be any official information available. I'd rather hear the whole store is a rumor, so there isn't a deceased diver.

was at coco the day the diver went missing the seas were pushing 7 plus feet at noon. they the aggressor were anchored off the outer reef in front of newmans wall and seamed to be taking a beating we did one dive on the reef nut our dive master did not want us back in the water and cancled our afternoon dive. ther were seven on our boat my dad being the weakest diver whith and advanced rating two master two dive master candates and one instructor .water was ruff. our dive master dove the next afternoon to look for body 210 ft deep dive to no avail . they to my understanding had only moved down the island about a mile ore so the weather had not really let up that much and the fella was in his 70 ies to my understanding . I would like two know where his dive buddy was ? all our guy was told was he disapeared durring the night dive never to be seen again seems to be very sad . to that from wed on weather was good and beutiful diving hope this helps unless the horse speaks doubt u will hear any thing else and my condolances to family and any one that was involved in this situation !

I would like two know where his dive buddy was ? all our guy was told was he disapeared durring the night dive never to be seen again seems to be very sad . to that from wed on weather was good and beutiful diving hope this helps unless the horse speaks doubt u will hear any thing else and my condolances to family and any one that was involved in this situation !

I think it is premature to jump on the buddy without evidence. A buddy is not a babysitter expected to keep undivided attention on his partner. The buddy concept in large part relies on the one needing assistance making his needs known to a buddy who is close enough and capable of giving assistance.

On a night dive with reduced vis, I can see how one could lose track of a buddy who had turned off or lost his light. In my opinion, we don't know enough nor should we make judgements.

I posted a link from this thread into the Utila forum here at SB. They are generally a pretty tight group down there. So far over 200 views of the thread and not a single reply. Whatever they know, they do not wish to share.

Back
Top Bottom