UTD's Regulator Repair & Field Service Class

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WhiteSands

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi folks,
I am thinking of purchasing these online materials for self-study.

http://www.unifiedteamdiving.com/page/regulator-repair-field-service-class

Has anyone else taken this course? Is it worth the money, and does it teach you things that you will not otherwise be able to pick up from reading the service manual or Regulator Saavy?

I have already taken apart and serviced 2 HOG classic 2nd stages successfully so far, but I will like to learn more so that I am sure I'm doing things right, and will love to learn some "tricks of the trade."

Appreciate all feedback, thanks.

Last edited:
Might want to try the DIY Repair forum instead. They helped me out when I couldn't figure out what I was screwing up with a MK200.

To me it would depend on how much they want for those videos, and how good they are. I think the Vance Harlow book is far superior to regulator savvy as a tool for getting started in DIY service. Regulator savvy has some great discussion of how particular designs function and is a great book to read for overall concepts, but lacks step-by-step instruction that the Harlow book provides.

In terms of their 'certification' class, I'm not sure what that's worth. My understanding is that in order to buy parts from a manufacturer, you need to be a dealer and take the manufacturer's class. So being 'certified' from a non-manufacturer doesn't really do anything for you unless the manufacturers will accept that certification.

Agreed, for the money (it seems the OL course is $99) you can get both Reg Savvy and "Maintainance and Repair of Scuba Regulators" . There are a number of reg service videos on Youtube that are ok to good for free. In any case I agree with Halocline, they are being misleading with the statement that you are "a regulator technician" and can buy parts. A few brands will allow you to buy parts reguardless of training but most require you to take their training before you are authorized to service their regs or buy parts.

I think that the only way to get a "straight" answer is to call UTD and talk to them. I am unfamiliar with their program, but I am an IT for service tech programs with TDI. I am also approved by two different manufacturers to teach their service tech programs to dive store techs, but I can't mix and match the programs. The manufacturers courses are booked through the distributor, not me, and are open to dive store recommended personnel only. I book my own TDI programs with my own clients. I have no idea what the UDT course would allow you to do after completion... you would need to talk to them to get that question answered.

I would check how long you have access to the videos. I never have taken an online scuba class but I know in a university setting a student's access to ebooks are time-limited. If these videos are I would think about a way to record them for the future. You are not a professional tech so you are only servicing a couple of regulators once a year or once every two years depending on your schedule.

Agreed, for the money (it seems the OL course is $99) you can get both Reg Savvy and "Maintainance and Repair of Scuba Regulators" . There are a number of reg service videos on Youtube that are ok to good for free. In any case I agree with Halocline, they are being misleading with the statement that you are "a regulator technician" and can buy parts. A few brands will allow you to buy parts reguardless of training but most require you to take their training before you are authorized to service their regs or buy parts.

You guys are right. Didn't know it's $99. I just bought Reglator Saavy and it is such a well-written, well thought out book. Don't think I'll be needing buy the course.

I had wanted to get it because I thought it will contain undocumented "tricks of the trade", and thought it's better to watch a video rather than read a book. But seeing how good Reg Saavy is, I think I can manage. Will probably save to get the Harlow book as well in the future.

I don't need the certification as I am servicing my own stuff, and can already get the service kits.

Thanks all for the advise!

To satisfy my own curiosity I sent them a email to ask what regs one is then certified to do work for, and if the certification was recognized by the manufacturer. Also wanted to know who will sell me the service kits after I have completed the course. I do see pictures of HOG regs on the website, so I am curious if that is the brand they are teaching on. If so, not going to be much use to me since I am a HOG repair tech instructor.

This sounds similar to the Reg technician class put on by Halls Career institute in FL. Their website says you become a "Certified Repair Technician" in their class. But when I called them up and talked to the person on the phone they told me after many questions that the certification was through Halls, and not a Manufacturer Issued Certification. Because of that, you still need to go through the factory classes.

They originally wanted to do what TDI did and offer the HOG repair thru UTD, then they did their own regulator and viola, UTD Repair Clinic.

To satisfy my own curiosity I sent them a email to ask what regs one is then certified to do work for, and if the certification was recognized by the manufacturer. Also wanted to know who will sell me the service kits after I have completed the course. I do see pictures of HOG regs on the website, so I am curious if that is the brand they are teaching on. If so, not going to be much use to me since I am a HOG repair tech instructor.

This sounds similar to the Reg technician class put on by Halls Career institute in FL. Their website says you become a "Certified Repair Technician" in their class. But when I called them up and talked to the person on the phone they told me after many questions that the certification was through Halls, and not a Manufacturer Issued Certification. Because of that, you still need to go through the factory classes.

They originally wanted to do what TDI did and offer the HOG repair thru UTD, then they did their own regulator and viola, UTD Repair Clinic.

What exactly is UTD? Are they a certifying agency like PADI, NAUI ,TDI, GUE? or are they equipment manufacturers/resellers? What exactly is their relationship with Techdivegear.com.

Back
Top Bottom