UTD Ratio deco discussion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I thought you were having an epiphany at the point where you seemed genuinely interested in listening to what Simon had to say. In retrospect I think I misread the signal. What I mistook for an epiphany was actually a sensitivity for hierarchies.
I am genuinely interested in what Simon has to say actually. It's refreshing to read a post by someone so knowledgeable and qualified, like yourself, without all of the condescending statements. :p

I prefer a discussion among equals...
Do you think belittling the director of a training agency is appropriate for a "discussion among equals." Do you think your OW students could teach Jarrod Jablonski "a thing or two" about decompression since the GUE standard is still 20/85? I've asked you a number of fair questions, "as an equal," but received no response. The stone thrower wants to have a nice "discussion among equals" in his nice glass house...:rolleyes:

Do you think your OW students could teach Jarrod Jablonski "a thing or two" about decompression since the GUE standard is still 20/85?

Ok for the record then. I said "debunked". I think the oxygen window discussion is officially behind us. I would qualify that as debunked but we didn't get any further than you choking on the definition of a word.

I think it's clear to everyone that deep ascent lines, if you want to use them, need to be padded with extra time shallow but the current deep ascent (and bubble) models don't have any way of accurately predicting the amount of extra time needed. The assumptions built into those approaches are based on thinking that controlling the fast tissues will protect the diver from an increased risk of DCS, which NEDU shows it does not. I called this "incorrect" and you choked on the definition of the word.

Your thinking is still that protecting fast tissues is more important than protecting slower tissues, which NEDU has proven to be an incorrect assumption. I presume there is also an assumption that deep stops are "good" that they result in cleaner deco and that they get you to the surface faster. These are all things we have hear that are consistent with this paradigm. I called this being behind the curve and you choked on the definition of the word.

NEDU has laid to rest a long standing discussion about the need and effectiveness of deep stops. The deep ascent protocols and bubble models are therefore in need of calibration due to this research. If GUE or any organisation who is developing deco strategies isn't trying to calibrate their models to account for the conclusions of the NEDU study then I would characterize that as ... what did I say again? .... unwise at best and irresponsible at worst. You choked on me saying that.

I'm not trying to be patronizing. You want a hierarchy and you want to hear it from someone who you feel you have a duty to listen to. To you I am not that person so as a result you are playing the man and ignoring the ball. Trying to discredit me or assert dominance in this discussion is pointless because it does not make me wrong and it does not make you right.

You can't listen to me. Your personality will not allow it. So don't. I don't need to keep going around this merry-go-round. Listen to Simon. He will tell you the same things, perhaps using more careful vocabulary. If you learn it at all then it will be a good thing.

R..

since the GUE standard is still 20/85?
im not sure what GFs they teach/recommend for doing tech dives but i think the 20/85 you refer to may be what their ratio deco resembles when entered into a deco planner. they dont teach their ratio deco as the sole way to peform decompression, just as a tool to use accordingly if your dive is shorter or longer than what the intended profile was. GUEs ratio deco breaks down at about 60m, after that it's up to you to plan your dive using deco programs and printing out the table(s), not trying to make up quasi ratio deco to fit the profile. (someone correct me if im wrong)

edit: 20/85 is to be used during the class per the new standards

Last edited:
Ok for the record then. I said "debunked". I think the oxygen window discussion is officially behind us. I would qualify that as debunked but we didn't get any further than you choking on the definition of a word.
Really? Where is the science that "debunks" it?

I think it's clear to everyone that deep ascent lines, if you want to use them, need to be padded with extra time shallow but the current deep ascent (and bubble) models don't have any way of accurately predicting the amount of extra time needed.
What about using oxygen decompression? Does that work too in your mind?

The assumptions built into those approaches are based on thinking that controlling the fast tissues will protect the diver from an increased risk of DCS, which NEDU shows it does not. I called this "incorrect" and you choked on the definition of the word.
By "choking" on a word, do you mean splitting hairs about it's details? I'm wondering if you understand English well enough to know the definitions of the words you're using. Do you know what "debunked" means? Do you know the difference between "unwarranted" and "incorrect?" Do you understand what "choking" means colloquially?

Anyway, like I said, I'd prefer to protect my fast tissues more than the NEDU study suggests. Is that a crime?

Your thinking is still that protecting fast tissues is more important than protecting slower tissues, which NEDU has proven to be an incorrect assumption.
Again you're drawing your own conclusions and claiming that the NEDU study concluded it instead, so I'll quote their conclusion again: "The practical conclusion of this study is that controlling bubble formation in fast compartments with deep stops is unwarranted for air decompression dives."

Where in that conclusion does it say, "The assumption of protecting fast tissues is more important than protecting slow tissues is incorrect?" In fact, it doesn't mention ANYTHING about slow tissues, or how one group is in anyway relatively important than an other. I'd like to know, please, what other conclusions are you inferring? Is your conclusion about AG "being caught in a paradigm lock" one of those too?

I presume there is also an assumption that deep stops are "good" that they result in cleaner deco and that they get you to the surface faster. These are all things we have hear that are consistent with this paradigm. I called this being behind the curve and you choked on the definition of the word.
If someone doesn't believe in the same things you do, they are "behind the curve?" I'll keep "choking" I guess...

If GUE or any organisation who is developing deco strategies isn't trying to calibrate their models to account for the conclusions of the NEDU study then I would characterize that as ... what did I say again? .... unwise at best and irresponsible at worst.
So your OW students can teach JJ a lesson or two about decompression?

I'm not trying to be patronizing.
But you are being patronizing.

Trying to discredit me or assert dominance in this discussion is pointless because it does not make me wrong and it does not make you right.
Are you projecting? Aww :heart:

I'm not trying to discredit you, but merely get you to understand that there is potentially a group of people who don't believe exactly everything you do, and how we can still dive safely and not be "behind the curve."

You can't listen to me. Your personality will not allow it.
Correction: I can't listen to you because YOUR personality will not allow it. If you were less condescending then we might be able to have a discussion "as equals." However, condescending remarks and belittle the director of a training agency doesn't exactly get people to listen to you.

"Deep stops work so well I have to do extra shallow time after I do them!"

Weird af.

Says the agency with 20/85 as the standard...

GUE does not have any standard.

They use it in examples, but it isn’t the be all-end all. My tech instructor used 30/85, so what?, Also, see your chart on page 26. 20/85, 30/80, and 30/85 are similar while RD and RD 2.0 are clearly outliers.

GUE does not have any standard.

They use it in examples, but it isn’t the be all-end all. My tech instructor used 30/85, so what?, Also, see your chart on page 26. 20/85, 30/80, and 30/85 are similar while RD and RD 2.0 are clearly outliers.
i just looked it up in GUEs newly released standards version 8 under 1.3.4 general training standards, "decompression diving conducted during GUE classes must use GUEs decoplanner as the referenced standard using the Buhlmann algorithm 20/85". nowhere does it say what to use when doing dives after the class as some may think

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom