Utd dm?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

zamburinha

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
There does not seem to be a lot of info on UTD DM, although the course does exist on their site. Anybody has information on what is involved? How is it taught (internship?), acceptable equivalent qualifications to UTD's own Rec3, how does it differ from other DM programs, etc.

As I understand other programs, the UTD DM differs in that it specifically 'allows' you to act in the divemaster capacity for dives at your own highest diving qualification.

Yes, as Marc said, a UTD DM can work at his/her level of training. The DM program is focused on leadership and becoming a dive professional. Prerequisites are listed in the S&P, but basically it's UTD Rec 2 or equivilant (Advanced/Nitrox) and Rescue, First Aid, CPR, AED, O2.

This page has more info:
Becoming a UTD Divemaster - Unified Team Diving

The class takes about six days and includes an academic module, a basic skills dive, then a series of dives to lead and intern...shore, boat, class assist, etc. Costs are listed on the above web page. We are running these classes regulary at the UTD Facility in San Diego, and we can also connect you with any qualified UTD instructor.

Feel free to contact me directly for more info. jeff@unifiedteamdiving.com

Jeff

Thanks for the replies!

Look at section 3.18 in the UTD Standards & Procedures Manual - Standards and Procedures - Unified Team Diving.

By the way, entry point is UTD Rec 2, not Rec 3.

If the above does not cover what you want to know, suggest that you might ask Jeff at UTD for more info at info@unifiedteamdiving.com

So, I wonder whether a combination such as PADI DM + GUE fundies + GUE Tech I would be an acceptable entry point, or would there be some need for a "bridge" course?

As I understand other programs, the UTD DM differs in that it specifically 'allows' you to act in the divemaster capacity for dives at your own highest diving qualification.

Yes, that seems quite a different take on the DM role. I find it interesting to think of a DM in a technical context, what is the role of the DM in that case?

Yes, as Marc said, a UTD DM can work at his/her level of training. The DM program is focused on leadership and becoming a dive professional. Prerequisites are listed in the S&P, but basically it's UTD Rec 2 or equivilant (Advanced/Nitrox) and Rescue, First Aid, CPR, AED, O2.

This page has more info:
Becoming a UTD Divemaster - Unified Team Diving

The class takes about six days and includes an academic module, a basic skills dive, then a series of dives to lead and intern...shore, boat, class assist, etc. Costs are listed on the above web page. We are running these classes regulary at the UTD Facility in San Diego, and we can also connect you with any qualified UTD instructor.

Feel free to contact me directly for more info. jeff@unifiedteamdiving.com

Jeff

That page contains a lot more info; I had not found it before for some reason. Thanks a lot. I guess the other question I have is how many people have gone through these DM courses already, are there people who have gone through it that could comment on their experience?

So, I wonder whether a combination such as PADI DM + GUE fundies + GUE Tech I would be an acceptable entry point, or would there be some need for a "bridge" course?
With this background why do you need UTD's DM?

Yes, that seems quite a different take on the DM role. I find it interesting to think of a DM in a technical context, what is the role of the DM in that case?
Additional insurance to sue on a bad day. (seriously)

And some 3rd party oversight (i.e. other than the skipper) on diver's getting beyond their capacity. Which is more common than you might realize even for "DIR" divers. Its obviously not a "follow me" guide type role that you see elsewhere.

That page contains a lot more info; I had not found it before for some reason. Thanks a lot. I guess the other question I have is how many people have gone through these DM courses already, are there people who have gone through it that could comment on their experience?

What do you want to know? I work with my local UTD instructors on a regular basis in the "DM" role. I am done with the program apart from getting the 1st aid/AED/CPR/O2 card renewed. I didn't find it especially challenging, but then again my instructors are my regular tech diving buddies anyway. I actually introduced them to Andrew before UTD was formed. And we discuss all sorts of things GUE, UTD and "other" on a regular basis.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom