USS Kittiwake-Grand Cayman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Then who would be making sure the tourists don't feed the rays at SRC? :wink:

I thought feeding the rays at SRC was part of the attraction. Did that change?

(I can't wait till our visit in June!!)

Beginning in 2007 or 2008 (I think), only those specially trained in diet requirements of cartilaginous fishes and carrying a token :D are permitted to feed the rays. The obesity concerns affecting Caymanians are not solely limited to humans.

I think the actual regulation now permits up to 1 lb of food per boat to be dispensed and prohibits people from lifting rays out of the water.

Needless to say that rule regularly goes unheeded, just like the I expect the Kittiwake's will as well.

Questions: Are there any Operators that are doing two tank dives on the Kittiwake? I am AOW and Wreck Certified, will operators take OW Divers or just AOW on the dive? Are most operators letting you and your buddy explore the wreck on your own or do you have to "follow the leader" for the dive?

Thank you very much in advance,
Mike

Regarding a two tank dive on the Kittiwake, I am not sure if there are any, but when we dove the Kittiwake with Diver's Down, they said that they are limited to how much time that they can be tied to the mooring for Kittiwake. So, that would probably negate doing a 2 tank dive there. I can't remember what the limit is.

This is one great dive, i would not however want to do a two tank on it. It is interesting, but there are no fish there yet...maybe next year

i'd like to see the Nat Geo documentary about the sinking of the Kittiwake as my boat MV Trident's sinking is featured to, in the what not to do bit!

Anybody got a link to it?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom