Using your octo as your primary

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

While I was searching equipment I was just going through mental calculations about the price of certain items while not getting a package and what the total would be, and a few questions arose: Is $100.00 a reasonable price for fins? (The Mares avanti Superchannel is what I was comparing to).
What is a good dive console that would 'fit' a $1,200 budget meaning is not that expensive?
What is a price to expect on a 'used' BCD (as you recommended) that is reasonable? (Of course I havent actually dove yet but I like the Mares Prestige from what I read and price wise).

It might all just be making an expensive impression to me because when I was looking at packages I found one at Leisure Pro which had a 2 gauge console, Mares Prestige, Reg bag, Mares Prestige Octo, and mares ranger primary as well as all hoses and first stage all for $550.00, (Mares Package #1) which would enable me to buy/own more equipment but it would be less customized... Basically it seems if buy everything separately I cant afford as much as my own equipment...

Lastly, another coldwater reg that was fairly cheap was the OMS line regs, are they also good?
OMS octo: OMS Downstream Octopus
OMS Primary: OMS Din Regulator
(The primary looks a little cheap but I just want some opinion/advice on the these questions above)

(As always) THANK YOU!

In my local area, I've seen used BCDs in dive-able condition for $25-$75. Ebay is a good place to research the average selling price of BCDs (check out the "completed listings" for BCDs).

The Mares Package you linked to would appear to be a good deal if that's the gear you want. The link shows $550 for a BCD + reg/analog console + reg hoses + reg bag + hat. That's a lot of gear for the money.

The BCD is a non-weight-integrated jacket-style BCD with ample lift (size Large has 45 lbs. of lift).
The reg setup consists of a diaphragm first stage (not environmentally sealed) and two classic downstream second stages.
The console contains an analog SPG and depth gauge.

You could get the package. It would save you a lot of time, since you wouldn't have to shop around for used gear piecemeal. I'd be willing to bet that, as long as the reg was tuned properly, you'd be satisfied with its performance. If you're diving in cold water, I'd recommend purchasing the cold water kit to make the first stage environmentally sealed. Leisurepro is currently out of stock on the $100 kit, though.
The Mares Prestige BCD is simple enough that it should give you hundreds of trouble-free dives.

I'd recommend staying away from the OMS regs. I've heard that people don't think much of OMS customer service.

About reg choice...
I'm personally biased toward gear that I can work on. :D I own Apeks regs. They perform wonderfully, and they are very easy to work on. The HOG regs appear to be very similar in design/features to my Apeks regs at half the price. The HOG manufacturer has decided to support DIY reg servicing for his regs. Overhaul kits are openly available, and you can even take a training class to learn how to service your own HOG regs.

About online retailers...
I see that you've discovered Leisurepro.com. Before purchasing anything, I'd recommend that you talk to the guys over at Scubatoys.com. Over the years, I've received excellent customer service from them, and in most cases, they'll match Leisurepro prices. Scubatoys offers free shipping if your order exceeds $50 and a 10% discount to ScubaBoard members (price-matched items are not eligible for the 10% discount). :)

You keep asking the same questions over and over again, here, chat, here. We've givin' you suggestions for hogs/edge, hollis gear. Gave you the links, Jim even said give him a call.
Like I told you in chat when you came in there the Tusa line of computers have worked really good for me. 650 700 750 (950 for air)
They are a little beginner advanced but will last you all the way into intro tech should you choose to do that.
BCD, I see some nice travel bcd's going for 200-400 range and some nice bp/w deals for 300, or you can hit up the classifieds here or ebay as bubble mentions.
Like bubble said there is nothing wrong with that mares package either, but you still need a comp, or you can dive tables.

Good luck

If you want a package deal and are comfortable with they grey market aspect of much of their product, I believe you can call Leisurepro and they can customize one for you based on the gear you want.

Like someone mentioned, also give Scubatoys a call and see what they can do for you in terms of a custom package. Might be more expensive but they are authorized retailers for all their brands. Leisurepro is not.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk

If you're sharing air, your octo will be your primary. I would suggest getting a good reg for both your primary and your octo.

The only reason it's cheaper is because there is a demand for cheap octos, so there's an incentive to cut any corners possible. It probably won't kill you, but when Something Bad just happened, and you or the guy you're sharing air with is breathing like a hoover, the last thing you want is a poorly performing reg.

flots.

I purchase a ScubaPro Mk25S600 and an air integrated Suunto computer with compass from LeisurePro several years ago. Their customer service was top notch.
:)

Your octo should be AT LEAST as good and as functional as your primary. Remember, your alternate air supply is your dive buddies (or your!) primary if something goes wrong underwater. I make a point of simultanous breathing (primary & alternate) during the buddy check. I also breathe using my octo for a few minutes on every dive to make sure it functions properly. Call me anal, but I don't want my alternate (or my dive buddies alternate) to fail at 30 meters.

I have placed lots of orders with Leisurepro and my experience with them has been great. Don't know about the whole "Gray Market" issue, since nothing I have purchased from them has broken and needed warranty service.

However, for major components like Regulator, Octopus and gauges/computers I often buy local. It's just better from the standpoint of service in my experience. But for other things like lights, knives, fins, mask, etc. as long as I know what I want, and if there is a significant savings to be had, I'll go where the deals are.

I try to use my octo as my primary every month, for a few minutes each dive, just to get a feel for how it breathes (harder than my "good" primary) and to keep it exercised.

I have the Mares Rover primary and as my octo & have had very good luck with them so far. With respect to LeisurePro vs. your local dive shop, I'm a big fan of supporting the local dive shop. I have found that the local shop is generally willing to negotiate a bit on price & while you may pay a little more that at LeisurePro, you'll likely pay less then full retail price at the shop - a win for everybody (especially if you really like your local shop!). Having said that, I too have purchased fro LeisurePro. The key is to contact the manufacturer (e.g. AquaLung) and confirm with them that LeisurePro (or any other site, for that matter) is an authorized reseller of their products. The last thin that you want is to find that the warranty is void on that new piece of gear that you purchased online.

I have the Mares Prestige MRS. It has excellent lift & I'm very happy with it.
Regarding Regs & octo, I have the ScubaPro MK25 (1st stage) and A700. For octo I got the R295.

I think the MK25 & A700 are really superb! When choosing regs, decide on whether you want piston type or diaphragm. Look at the pros and cons of both and decide.
For example, incase of a failure, a diaphragm type will close off air supply where as a piston type will free flow. (Personally, I'd rather have a free flow than an air shut off!)

For me, my MOST IMP part of my kit are my regs. I will skimp & save on other bits of equipment, but I made sure i pulled out all the stops when I chose my regs...

Hope this helps....

Back
Top Bottom