Using your dive computer for Altitude diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CAPTAIN SINBAD

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello:

I am interested in taking an altitude diving course and was wondering if altitude can be set into a modern dive computer? Does anyone have any information on if this is possible and how you can do this? I have a Suunto Gekko and I was wondering if it is an altitude aware computer or not.

Any help would be appreciated.

I know some of them will adjust automatically for altitude. Looking through the computers on LP, I found a few that listed this specifically in their write ups.

According to the manual for your computer, it has a user settable high altitude mode that is for use up to 10,000 feet.

Yes, you can use a dive computer to do high altitude dives.

I'm not sure about your computer.

We use the Scubapro Galileo Sol & Luna. They have an altimeter.

We do recommend taking a high altitude course.

Go into SET DIVE, scroll through until you see A0 (this is the altitude setting) 1, 2 or 3 depending on altitude. I can't recall what the levels are as I've only ever used the function for my single altitude dive. That was at 1500m above sea level which was A2. Beyond that can't tell you much.

Yes. A quick search on google found the answer.

3.7.1. Altitude Adjustment
When programming the instrument for the correct altitude, you need to select the
correct Altitude Mode according to Table 3.4. The dive computer will adjust its
mathematical model according to the entered altitude mode, giving shorter nodecompression times at higher altitudes (see Section 6.1. “Operating Principles”,
Table 6.1. and 6.2.).
The entered Altitude Adjustment Mode is indicated by mountain symbols (A0, A1
TABLE 3.4. ALTITUDE ADJUSTMENT RANGES
Altitude
mode
Symbol
on display
Altitude
range
A0
A1
A2
0 - 300 m [0 - 1000 ft]
300 - 1500 m [1000 - 5000 ft]
1500 - 3000 m [5000 - 10000]
= one mountain, or A2 = two mountains). Section 4.2.4. “ Personal Adjustments”
describes how the Altitude Mode is adjusted.
Traveling to a higher elevation can temporarily cause a change in the equilibrium 35
of dissolved nitrogen in the body. It is recommended that you acclimate to the
new altitude by waiting at least three hours before making a dive.

another one not reading his user guide.
sad.

"New Divers and Those Considering Diving" would be a better location.

Download the manual to your computer so you always have a digital copy at hand. Makes it easy to reference whenever you have a question regard how to use it.

http://www.aqualung.com/technical_library/Gekko_manual_en_2e271.pdf

Hello:

I am interested in taking an altitude diving course and was wondering if altitude can be set into a modern dive computer? Does anyone have any information on if this is possible and how you can do this? I have a Suunto Gekko and I was wondering if it is an altitude aware computer or not.

Any help would be appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom