Using transmitters on a rEvo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mr_v

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Hello folks,

Eventually, I want to replace rEvo gauges with transmitters. I want to start by adding a transmitter to the O2 reg to show the pressure in the NERD. The O2 reg does not have much space around it, and I know that people have been attaching transmitters to HP hoses. If you have a setup like that, could you please share what you've done and if you've ran into any issues?

Right now, the plan is to run a HP hose from O2 reg all the way around the top of the unit and then on the DIL side with an O2 transmitter hanging off close to the DIL reg. Also, I plan to get a stand, so in theory I'll have a bit more attachment options on the bottom.

Thank you for the suggestions!

I have AI transmitters configured on my rEvo. I thought I had a detailed post on my blog about it but I couldn't find it so I will work on creating one this week with parts, details, photos, etc.

A few quick notes:

1. I tried to have the transmitters directly on the Apeks first stage and, for me at least, I wouldn't get a consistent signal to the NERD2.

2. I ended up running Miflex HP hoses and putting the transmitters under the weight pocket steel plate.

3. I've done hundreds of dives with this configuration and I only had one problem and I figured out the issue. The Petrel controller cable is longer than necessary for most people so they either wrap around their arm a few times or they tie-up the extra. I had a couple loops of extra cable under that same steel plate and I think the DiveCan signals interfered with the transmitters. As soon as I moved that to another location, everything worked great and has continued to do so.

As a side note, the AI alerted me to an issue during a dive in Vis, Croatia earlier this year. I'll provide details of that and lessons learned when I post the details of my configuration.

- brett

Use two 55cm / 22" HP hoses. Run them up and over the top scrubber, under the tray. One either side.

Use different coloured transmitters unless you're happy to accept occasional clashing issues.

1657528726936.png

N.B. originally posted the wrong hose length. It is 55cm/22"

Same here. hoses and run them to the top. Mine isn't under the weight plate, but right where the shoulder straps are at. Same basic thing. I think it was I could not find a HP hose exactly the length I wanted to get them under the weight plate. Completely trouble free in that location. Never dropped a signal.

Set mine up for DIL on transmitter 1 and O2 ond transmitter 2. When I relabeled the channels in the Shearwater it turns into D1 and O2 for the labels. If you are starting with only one transmitter on the O2 side I would start with it in the #2 slot so the records will be consistent once you add a DIL transmitter.

Doing the CMF check is super easy now. Turn off the O2, watch the data. With the lenght (and gas volume) of my particular setup I know it is 5 bar drop between data updates. I see it drop 5 bar 3 times in a row, CMF is doing perfect. Your results may vary.

Here is something fun I found in my data. Local lake is 55° at depth but 80° above 30'. Hanging out doing deco I can watch the tank pressures rise from the increase in temperature as they warm up in the hot water bath.

Thank you! Super helpful. @Wibble, you got a sweet stand. Have you thought of running transmitters under the stand? I am exploring all options. Frankly, the problem is me - I OCD on these things too much and want to get the cleanest solution. I need to get over that ;-)

I have AI transmitters configured on my rEvo. I thought I had a detailed post on my blog about it but I couldn't find it so I will work on creating one this week with parts, details, photos, etc.
I, too, thought you did. You're my number one source for rEvo modifications.

Use two 50cm (20") HP hoses.
Where did you find 20" HP hoses? I spent close to an hour looking through my favorite retailers and could find only 24".

Where did you find 20" HP hoses? I spent close to an hour looking through my favorite retailers and could find only 24".
That might be why mine are up on the shoulder straps.

My unit is all assembled for some new target dives tomorrow (fingers crossed) so it is a bit hard to accurately measure my hoses but if you wait a day or two, I can post them after I disassemble my unit.

- brett

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom