Using rig during AOW training?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

red_infinity:
I am planning to get a BP/W for my first BC, and I was kinda thinking of taking AOW this coming summer. I wanna use the long hose + bungeed octo setup, but I was wondering if this would be a problem during AOW training. I was thinking back to my OW training, and I was thinking about it since some of the stuff isn't really what they teach, like the bungeed octo. Has anyone had this situation, or had a problem with their instructor because of this?

I have students use them from the get-go except for the octo setup. I do,however,explain the long hose setup on the air sharing module and then I show show them when it come to gear.

It is a PADI recommendation if not a standard that the instructor and students must use the same gear in the confined water.....with instructors other than myself this could be an issue.

I can't see it being an issue on your check out dives though....as long as you can get out and get back into the rig at the surface.

Ron

Yes you should definately speak with the instructor first since not all of them will appreciate you straying from their equipment config that they are teaching. It can be a touchy subject so as mentioned before if they don't like it I would seek another instructor

Is it at the instructor's whim or is it something that PADI covers in their standards? I will be arriving at AOW next week with a BP/W and long hose because that's what I own and use.

Have you considered taking DIR-f instead?

I'd like to take Fundies, but I'll have to improve my basic skills before the class will be wortwhile for me. I'll still need some version of AOW to take Rescue and the timing is right, so I'm just going to get it out of the way.

If you're taking a class to "get it out of the way" you might want to think about it a bit first

rongoodman:
Is it at the instructor's whim or is it something that PADI covers in their standards? I will be arriving at AOW next week with a BP/W and long hose because that's what I own and use.

It's at the instructor's whim. PADI describes the bc as "buoyancy control device with low pressure inflator" and the regulator as "regulator". If you could find a horseshoe collar with a low pressure inflator and a 20 foot hose, you would still fulfill the equipment requirements. :D

Thalassamania:
If you're taking a class to "get it out of the way" you might want to think about it a bit first

One of the problems in reading too much about various topics here is that it's easy to get wound up and defensive about things that probably will never happen. The experience TSandM had in her Rescue class spawned pages and pages of discussion. These discussions about AOW are similar. I'm a little testy about having to grit my teeth and fill in the "correct" answers on the Knowledge reviews I've been doing for class, but it will probably be fine. If not, the scheduling will still make it worth my while to maintain a low profile and just do the class. If I have to put the old hoses back on my regulators, it's ten minutes of work and the same to take them off again for the next day's dives.

Ron, I'd just show up for the dives in what you dive. There are no PADI rules that forbid the long hose, or a BP/W. You might want to talk to the instructor first, just to make sure you aren't going to run into somebody who is going to be a major PITA about what you're using.

If you pick the right set of dives, AOW can be worthwhile. Fundies doesn't do anything with navigation, so that's a good one; search and recovery turns out to be very useful when your husband loses his mask in ten foot viz. Any time spent on buoyancy is time well spent. You can make the most of the class, and Rescue is worth it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom