Using rig during AOW training?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Greetings,

Agreed, speak with your instructor first! I did before my rescue course. The instructor thought it would be good for everyone to experience different configurations. The long hose came in handy for the five person buddy breathing exercise (3 off the long hose and 2 off the bungied octo) at the end of class :cool:.

Cheers!

PS. I kept a foldable snorkle in my left hip pocket for those rescue drills.

As others have said, there are no rules saying you cant take courses in them.

I teach in a BPW and Long hose set up (mind you I dont really teach OW anymore) and PADI has no problem with that.

My wife took all her courses in a BPW and long hose. her Instructor for her Rescue (Was before I was an Instructor) tried to get her to wear conventional gear but her arguement was that she wanted to learn in the gear she used. And rightly so.

If your Instructor won't let you do it in your gear...Find another.

biscuit7:
My AOW instructor said it was fine that I had my snorkel in my pocket, just like her... :wink:

It shouldn't be a problem, but I'd ask about it before you sign up. If the instructor has an issue, find another instructor.

Rachel

Very cool. Your instructor is topnotch - one of my favorite dive buddies, in fact :wink:.

I have used my bp/w with a long hose in every PADI class that I have taken - OW, AOW, Rescue and a couple of specialties. I plan on using it in my dive master class starting in Sept. Frankly, I could care less what my instructor thinks of my equipment as long as he/she can teach the skills I am in his/her class to learn, but having said that I have never had any one give me a hard time about my equipment choices. For classes, I carry a rolled up snorkel in my pocket. Rescue class is one of the best demonstrations of why to use a long hose that you will ever experience.

JMO,
Jackie

To follow up, my AOW instructor was polite, but skeptical. He seemed to think my Hog rig was really too "advanced" and that a vest BC would be better to learn in. The snorkel in my pocket was never noticed/mentioned. So no real problems.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom