Using ear plugs for diving? - Doc's ProPlugs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubadude79

Contributor
Reaction score
My mother wishes to take on SCUBA diving, however she has sensitive ears so she is hesitant. She will probably stick to shallower depths anyway, but better to be safe than sorry.

I found these Doc's ProPlugs at a LDS and was wondering all of your thoughts on using these when diving. Their website is: Doc's Proplugs: The Doctor's Choice for Ear Protection

If you have personally used them I would love to hear your pros/cons regarding this product.

Thanks!

Lots of folks use them and love them. Lately, I've been getting lots of ear infections, so I bought a pair. I've used them on one dive so far and I liked them just fine.

I had the opportunity to try them out when I was a new diver. I was prone to ear infections but wanted to dive. The ProPlugs really helped out, and they don't interfer with hearing like regular ear plugs do. They're definitely worth a try!

Many divers use them and I have heard of only a couple that did not feel comfortable with them or that said they did not help. So, based on that, I would say that they are very effective. As silly as it may sound, just double check that the plugs that are sold to you (or your mother) are the vented plugs for diving. The LDS should (and would) know better but it would be a painful mistake to learn from if she tried diving with unvented plugs. I say an ounce of prevention....

I have heard someone say that you should never wear them, however they also say wearing split fins and a BP/W will kill you too . . . JMHO

I have heard someone say that you should never wear them, however they also say wearing split fins and a BP/W will kill you too . . . JMHO

See, that is where I got a little concerned so thought I would ask around. You hear some say all earplugs are bad; yet I sure do love my split fins! :crafty:

everything designed for use while diving has gone through testing, some people will love the product, others desipse it . . .

just go ask if split fins are DIR in the DIR forum :wink: J/K don't . . .

BTW welcome to SB

Make sure your mom gets fitted correctly as it is extremely important! Dive shops that carry them should have a fitting kit in their location.

What's the problem with split fins? We have 'em on our SCUBA boat for the tourists. I even use split-bodysurfing fins down to 55-60 feet and they work just fine, and are great for agile turns in very shallow water.

Of course Mares Avanti Quattro for SCUBA and Cressi-sub Gara Pro for freediving are in a whole 'nother category than $20 fins bought from WalMart but I gotta do with what I got...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom