Using ear plugs for diving? - Doc's ProPlugs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dive with Pro Plugs every dive. I have never had any problems, and have no problems at all equalizing. My only suggestion is get the colored ones--if you set the clear ones down they can be hard to see....

My mother wishes to take on SCUBA diving, however she has sensitive ears so she is hesitant. She will probably stick to shallower depths anyway, but better to be safe than sorry.

I found these Doc's ProPlugs at a LDS and was wondering all of your thoughts on using these when diving. Their website is: Doc's Proplugs: The Doctor's Choice for Ear Protection

If you have personally used them I would love to hear your pros/cons regarding this product.

Thanks!

Hey scubadude79:

First I want to say I have never used anything in my ears for diving; I truly thought it was contraindicated with diving, but I learned something on the ol' SB.

Now, let me direct your attention to this thread started a couple of weeks ago. There was a scenario where an individual used these plugs for his ears and had a temporary problem but in the end, he was ok. Warning, the thread, as do most, gets kinda' hairy, and of course a peeing match ensues mid thread, but all ends well- I guess.

The most I got out of the thread were, plugs are not for everybody, however a lot of people use them with no ill or injurious effects, and the Vented Plugs are the key for scuba diving. The OP of the linked thread speculated that his plugs may not have been fully vented.

Good luck to you Mother and her class, and I hope this helps.

With kindest regards,
Thomas

I find the PP very helpful, they may help your mom, but I would still start out without just to see how it goes. What exactly is meant by sensitive ears? With a good patient instructor teaching her proper ways to equalize she might not have a problem.

Sticking to shallow depths doesn't necessarily help, the rate of pressure change is greater the shallower you are. (When I have problems clearing - ascending or descending - it's at shallower depths, not deeper.)

For two years I never had any problems clearing...until about three months ago. The first dive is always the worst. I'd hit a wall at 10' and would go back up and down and up and down to work it loose until I would finally clear, sometimes. If I would surface in the middle of the dive and try to go back down, forget about it. Very frustrating. I finally got my proplugs and tried them on two dives yesterday. First dive was only to 66' and they made a huge difference. I still felt a slight little pressure at 10' and a little worse at 30' but no pain. I would just pause and the pressure would slowly just release over a few seconds. I did surface that dive to get my bearings and go back down under the kelp canopy, and not problem what so ever. My second dive was a bigger surprise. I went down to 97' and had no pauses at all. In fact, I went down really fast, faster than ever before, and my ears just cleared themselves without even feeling it. The strange thing I must report is the fact that with these plugs in I don't seem to be able to make my ears "pop" equalize by pinching my nose and blowing like usual. On both dives I tried and it had no affect at all. No pop. The ears just gradually clear like magic. I could definitely feel the difference and it is hard to describe. I hope this helps someone decide. Happy day for me!

It is GREAT that the plugs worked for you, but when you say you were unable to clear on your own (only "the magic" :wink: would allow your ears to clear) do you actually and honestly mean that you were unable to clear? Any time I hear "can't equalize" I picture a recipe for either future pain or damage or both. It is great that these dives worked out well but I would not think this is normal. Perhaps other DPP users can say if this has been their experience.

.....my ears just cleared themselves without even feeling it. The strange thing I must report is the fact that with these plugs in I don't seem to be able to make my ears "pop" equalize by pinching my nose and blowing like usual. On both dives I tried and it had no affect at all. No pop. The ears just gradually clear like magic. I could definitely feel the difference and it is hard to describe. I hope this helps someone decide. Happy day for me!

Sorry Steve. Did not mean to confuse. It's actually difficult to describe. Of course I was able to clear, just not like usual. Normally, I do the whole pinch your nose and blow to get my ears to equalize, and I usually get a sort of "pop" sensation when I do this. I can do it right now above land. I also usually clear above water once just before I descend, and then every few feet on the way down. When I used the plugs for these two dives I found that I could not clear in this method before or after I descended. It was weird. I first thought something was wrong. I pinched and blew and blew and nothing. On my second dive I literally just went all the way down to 97' without pinching & blowing once. This is a first for me. My ears had to be clearing. I just couldn't feel it in the same way I usually feel the "pop." That's what I meant by "magic." I am curious if anyone else has had the same experience. It was strange and wonderful at the same time.

I cannot dive without the pro-plugs. The vent in them allows water to enter slowly which allows me to clear my ears more easily. I can dive head down straight to the bottom clearing as I go with no problems. The vent restricts water from moving in and out of the ear canal so for me the benefit there is that warmer water is against my eardrums which begin to severely ache when they are cold.

I recommend vented pro-plugs for anyone with trouble clearing.

I wanted to re-iterate something that you are all probably aware of...
If you do decide to go the doc's proplugs route, make sure you get the VENTED Doc's proplugs. They will be either fire engine red, or transparent clear.

You are right we are probably all aware of it, but I would rather you state it as you did than hear somebody making a mistake in which plugs they used and caused themselves a lot of damage. Plus I never knew about the RED.....I wish that was an option here. We have only ever seen the clear which are a bugger to find on rocky shore dives if one falls out before or after the dive. Are the red ones also available with the lanyard?

the red ones are available with a lanyard, I think the lanyard itself was clear. I prefer the clear plugs though. Maybe it's my imagination but I got a set of each and the red ones bother my ears, it seems like they're a little stiffer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom