USING dive tables during OW course.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Frosty

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Ok so Mr 13 has passed his OW theory.Hes done 3 DSD dives with a decent instructor.
Im really keen that he should actually USE the dive tables in the 'real world" during his JOW training so it has become a habit to calculate his loading.
The instructors are bemused at this idea.
Whats wrong with my thinking?

Ok so Mr 13 has passed his OW theory.Hes done 3 DSD dives with a decent instructor.
Im really keen that he should actually USE the dive tables in the 'real world" during his JOW training so it has become a habit to calculate his loading.
Whats wrong with the instructors' thinking?

Fixed.

If you're confident in your own skills with Tables this can be a good father son bonding moment. Might want to save it to after your son becomes a JOW diver. Less confusion and conflicts with said instructors.

I'd insert that the use of tables or a ratio method (e.g., any method that requires you to set and keep a schedule using your brain, a bottom timer and a depth gauge) is a basic requirement. Those who cannot factor a dive in this manner fail to meet basic standards and are less than basic divers; regardless of what their c-card suggests.

If you can't understand and use tables then you should not be diving, it's not exactly rocket science.

When I took OW I kept all the dive profiles we did from questions in the manual. Also, those ones from the written test. Did the same for the Nitrox course. So each day I do one (alternating between air & nitrox). Air problems take about 30 seconds to do one, nitrox maybe a minute. Keeps everything fresh. You get to a point where you have the NDLs for each depth memorized. I haven't done that for nitrox, though. Then you get into the old question of tables vs. computer. On dives below 40' I use the computer--shallower it's just not needed (use a watch only), so why bother having another thing to rinse, and something that may get water damaged at some point.

Nitrogen loading is a very important concept for every diver to understand. I know my dive tables well and always have them in my bag with a spare watch. With that said I use my dive computer on every dive that I do, including shallow dives. It is a very nice piece of equipment to have around when filling out a log book even if the dive was so shallow that No Decompression Limits aren't an issue. I think for newer divers it is more important that they understand the concept of nitrogen loading and how it limits their bottom time, ascent rate and surface intervals than it is to be a dive table master. Most divers purchase computers if they dive often and more and more dive shops are including computers in their standard set of rental equipment. Of course if you are not using a computer then tables and a timing device are a must.

I obviously don't know the situation with your son's instructors but sometimes it's more important to spend time with the student making them a safe diver and working on their skills underwater and general dive knowledge than going overboard on dive table use, especially if they are taking the course using a dive computer.

On dives below 40' I use the computer--shallower it's just not needed (use a watch only), so why bother having another thing to rinse, and something that may get water damaged at some point.

...if you get hurt a Dr. can look at your entire set of dives.

Whats wrong with my thinking?

Absolutely nothing is wrong with your thinking. That the instructors are bemused would be a red flag if it were my son. What other basic information do they seem to see in the same way. You need to remind them in no uncertain terms that they are working for you. You've employed them to train your son. If there are skills and knowledge that you feel he should have and those items are not in violation of standards you want him taught them. Or give you your money back so you can find someone who will teach him.
Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

As an instructor for 2 different agencies, I teach the tables and believe that they are part of the knowledge foundation for diving. I do not have to teach the tables but I choose to make them part of the courses that I teach.

It is a personal choice by the instructor as long as the certifying agencies allow this option and it is not a violation of standards if they choose not to teach the tables providing they teach the alternative mandated by the agency.

If you ever further your education with EAN or technical courses, you will wish that you had already learned how to use the tables. The tables are very simple and easy to learn.

I haven't used tables for a long time, but because I used them for awhile up front, I now have a general idea what it is that my computer's doing. I would hate to be mindlessly dependent on a readout and have no idea what the numbers mean, or whether they're making sense. I had a computer problem on a dive a few years ago and immediately knew that it was a computer issue rather than thinking I was about to die, as the computer was strongly implying. Its message made no sense at all, given my circumstances; because I have some familiarity with tables, I knew that.

Back
Top Bottom