USING dive tables during OW course.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In support of what Jar546 said, I was taught to use the dive tables as part of my OW classes but my boyfriend was only taught to use a computer. After my course I sat with him and within 5 minutes taught him how to use the table and he was so happy to have gone through it because the computer provided no explanations and it made him appreciate more the relationship between dive times, depth and surface intervals. I had to pry the thing out of his hands!

It's great that learning to use the tables helped your boyfriend understand what the computer is doing. However, all that tells me is that the instructor didn't do a good job of explaining what the computer is doing. If an instructor explains how the computer algorithm works, there's nothing that knowing how to use a table could add to a student's grasp of the concept. What's the difference between seeing pressure groups going up and down on a table as a function of depth, time and surface interval and seeing a bar graph get longer and shorter on a computer (or some other educational simulation) as a function of depth, time and surface interval?

Maybe the best argument for continuing to teach tables in OW class is that many instructors don't know how to explain what the computer is really doing in a way that students walk away with an equivalent understanding of the concepts involved.

Just in case I wasn't being clear. The lad will be diving with a triple gauge (no computer) and has passed his theory with 100% in the tables section. But that was sitting in a "classroom" not out on a boat between dives

kazbanz, sorry the discussion veered off from your original question and into the "should tables still be taught" thicket. I am guilty.

...if you get hurt a Dr. can look at your entire set of dives.

Yes. My fault in not being more specific. My usual set of dives consists of 2 dives a day once a week. Each one ranging between 15 and 30 (usually more like 25) fsw. Can't see any point in using the computer for that as much of the time I'm at or near safety stop depth anyway. I do, however treat each dive as a square profile (which they are) and do my profile as if each is to 35'. If I'm doing the typical charter 2 tank dive where the 2nd one may be below 40' (never had one below 50') I would use the computer for both dives of course.

kazbanz, sorry the discussion veered off from your original question and into the "should tables still be taught" thicket. I am guilty.
Take thyself off into a suatable corner abd beat yourself soundly. -Unless you enjoy it of course

I believe that it would be a dis-service to any diver not to teach them how to use tables. While conservative they are a foundational principal that all divers should understand to better be aware of what is actually occurring on a dive. Having an understanding of the basic principles and their application only strengthens an individual.

... If an instructor explains how the computer algorithm works ...

Quick question - what "algorithm" are you talking about. Wondering if you are implying that an instructor covers the basic concepts (hence tables) or the mechanics of the actual algorithm used by the computer. For instance should an instructor be teaching the mechanics of say the Buhlmann, RGBM or Haldanean algorithms? Just wondering as most students tend to struggle with aspects of the Natural Gas laws and now we are talking about teaching advanced math.

Not saying this would not be interesting to cover - just might be a bit too much.

FWIW - Last Friday I took my NAUI Master Scuba Diver exam..... 6 questions that had to be worked through a set of tables were a component....

I use tables exclusively. I had a computer for awhile and never could bring myself to trust it. I still planned and executed my dives using tables. I finally traded it ion on a new BC for my youngest son.

The instructor who certified both my sons does not teach computers, only tables and I was in complete agreement with him.

Tables are key, need to be taught and understood.....it will let you know what your computer is doing so you aren't blindly following it.

I did about 100 dives just on the computer, now its back to tables for deco dives, very important to know tables!

The problem is not with your thinking, the problem is likely with the instructors' ability to use tables and understanding of nitrogen loading. "Push button" diving strikes again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom