Using a pony when traveling

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aaron528

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I use a pony bottle for local diving but so far I haven't taken it on a plane for travel diving. I use a pony tamer but that's out for travel because it has to be attached to the tanks. That would mean using the bag/cam belt system I used to use. When my wife is diving with me having a reliable buddy is a non-issue and I feel ok diving without a pony, but I've had some really negative experiences with "insta buddies" in the Caribbean and Florida so if I travel solo again I'd really prefer to have a pony in spite of the hassle. I'm curious what other divers do.

I use a pony bottle for local diving but so far I haven't taken it on a plane for travel diving. I use a pony tamer but that's out for travel because it has to be attached to the tanks. That would mean using the bag/cam belt system I used to use. When my wife is diving with me having a reliable buddy is a non-issue and I feel ok diving without a pony, but I've had some really negative experiences with "insta buddies" in the Caribbean and Florida so if I travel solo again I'd really prefer to have a pony in spite of the hassle. I'm curious what other divers do.

I have had the same question. I love slinging a pony bottle while diving locally but I have not found a way to do so while diving internationally. I could always rent one when diving in Cozumel, but I have not gone to the trouble to do so as of yet.

My wife is also a reliable buddy on such trips but if I plan to do deeper or more adventuresome solo dives, I pack my 13cf pony that I sling with no problem.

I carry all my own equipment when traveling, including my 19cft pony. I sling the pony. I also do not count on insta-buddies.

You must remove the valve and tape over the top of the tank with clear tape so the tank may be inspected by any TSA agents. Once you arrive at your destination, just remove the tape and replace the valve. Remember, some locations have different time tables for visual and pressure testing of all tanks.

Safe diving.

Many airlines will charge you to take a pony on board. Usually either a hundred bucks or more (each way) or classify it as an extra bag. You need to check out their website. Southwest does not charge extra. Another reason I fly with them. They also don't charge for the first two bags. I included a 13cf pony in a checked bag on a flight from Columbus to Ft. Lauderdale last year to see what they would do. Nada. The guy said:"Have a good time diving." And that was it.

Since travelling with a pony is so difficult these days, why not take a sling and SS tank band and side-sling a second full-size tank? That's what I always do when travelling and have done for over ten years.

Travelling with pony cylinders can be done, but is increasingly difficult due to tightened airport security measures.

One option is to pre-research your potential dive centres. Write emails to them and see if they will rent smaller sized cylinders. Get used to wearing them slung.

Another option is to dive with two rental cylinders of equal size. You can wear one on your back and sling one. Alternatively, you can back-mount both cylinders as independant doubles.

I regularly use independant doubles when I travel. I have a BP&W that accepts two indie cylinders via camband. 2 cylinders last for 2 dives, but always give you an independant/redundant air source suitable for ascent from recreational depths.

Last edited by a moderator:
Like you, my experience with insta-buddies on OW diving (on the Atlantic side of Florida in my case) is that, as long as you are in the same ocean as them, they feel that this is close enough. I have been "waved away" by my dive buddy (who was more experienced than me and was dragging the SMB) who indicated that I should "go there" to take photos rather than stick so close to her. At times she was as far away as the surface, so CESA was always an option. :)

I believe that pony bottles need to be transported via air disassembled.

When diving, I sling my 19 cu ft pony. The only objection that I have heard to slinging a bottle is that it might get in the way if you are lobster hunting. I would stress that, if you dive with a pony, deploy it regularly so that it is second nature.

When selecting a size of pony bottle, consider your air consumption, diving depth, and contingency planning. Search the SB site for detailed posts. Perhaps the string:

site:scubaboard.com rock bottom pony bottle

might help.

When we go on vacation I always bring either a 13 or 19 cu ft pony along.
I sling it off of the left D-rings on my BP/W set up.
I travel by air to our vacation spots , so I empty the cylinder and pull the valve.
Upon arival I get the cylinder filled and I am good to go.
After I am done diving for the week, my family uses the pony up in the resorts pool.

I have not yet needed to use my pony ,but I have had a buddy need it when he ran out of air at 80 ft.

To me a pony bottle is like insurance. I would much rather have it and not need it , rather than need it and not have it.

Jim Breslin

When we go on vacation I always bring either a 13 or 19 cu ft pony along.
I sling it off of the left D-rings on my BP/W set up.
I travel by air to our vacation spots , so I empty the cylinder and pull the valve.
Upon arival I get the cylinder filled and I am good to go.
After I am done diving for the week, my family uses the pony up in the resorts pool.

I have not yet needed to use my pony ,but I have had a buddy need it when he ran out of air at 80 ft.

To me a pony bottle is like insurance. I would much rather have it and not need it , rather than need it and not have it.

Jim Breslin

You and I seem to have the same hymnal.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom