Using a normal 2nd stage as an octopus

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aoumi

Registered
Reaction score
I have a spare scubapro g250v and want to know if I can use this as an octopus instead of buying a dedicated octopus.

If so, it is just simply a matter of tuning the g250v so that it won't be prone to free-flow?

And of course, replacing the LP hose with a longer yellow one? Is this possible with the g250v? Any issues with doing this?

I'm new to this, so any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

You don't even need the yellow hose.... It's nice but not needed... You can set the crack pressure higher to help stop free flows.... But again not needed if it's not free flowing....

Jim...

You sure can. Most of the seconds that I use as octos are just regular seconds.

Good questions. The G250V makes an excellent redundant reg.

You don't need to detune it, due the fact you can detune by using the adjustment knob.

No worries, just put any low pressure hose that floats your boat.

I eventually use it on a pony/stage bottle. ( It works much better if you run out of air. )

Good Luck & Good Diving!

I use an adjustable second stage bungeed around my neck and wouldn't have it any other way. I always know right where it is. It doesn't free flow at all, and when I do need to use it I can open it up and breathe easily.

The reg used as your alternate (octopus) is / should be determined only by its position. It is a good second or it isn't, and if the second is not good enough for use as your primary, you shouldn't be using it.

IMHO, YMMV

I have a spare scubapro g250v and want to know if I can use this as an octopus instead of buying a dedicated octopus. . . . Is this possible with the g250v? Any issues with doing this?
A very good question! There are no issues. In fact this is what you should do - use an equivalent (to your primary) second stage for your alternate. And, there should not necessarily be any issue of differential tuning. The better question really is, why would you use anything else as an octo, other than a second stage that YOU would accept as a primary? Of course, the obvious answer for some divers seems to be, 'Uh, the so-called dedicated octos are, uh, um, er, more streamlined' - aka, they are CHEAPER (oh, and I don't have to breath off of them in an OOA situation, just my poor smuck dive buddy). :)
gcarter:
if the second is not good enough for use as your primary, you shouldn't be using it.
Mr. Chairman, I second that motion!

I use identical second stages for my primary and my alternate, on multiple reg sets. That actually IS cheaper in some ways - the parts kits for the two are the same. Plus, if I have a problem with my primary during a dive, I can go to my alternate with confidence as I end the dive.
GillScales:
Seriously,sometimes I think the interwebz is turning us all into simpletons.
Now, hold on. In fairness to the OP, he is asking a very reasonable question. More than a few divers are exposed in their so-called training to instructors who tell them, 'Yeah, man, just buy whatever is cheapest for your octo - hey, dude, you don't have to use it.' Or, they are exposed to dive shops that gladly sell, and support the use of, cheap second stages for use as octos. And, to manufacturers that do the same.

If you really believe that having an octo is appropriate, then have a good one. Otherwise, why waste money buying even a cheap one? Just dive a good primary and tell whatever buddy is willing to dive with you, 'I really don't care about you, it is all about me, and about my wallet, and about my streamlining.' If your argument is, 'It probably won't be needed, anyway', fine (and, you're actually technically correct). In that case, you might even want to go around and take down (rip off) all those defibrillators we see popping up everywhere (schools, shopping malls, government buildings), and sell them on eBay or to your local pawn shop, and use the money to buy some dive bling. Hey, those things probably won't ever be needed, anyway. And, if even they are, manual chest compressions will probably work in a pinch.

Last edited:
I have a spare scubapro g250v and want to know if I can use this as an octopus instead of buying a dedicated octopus.

Don't do it because you're gonna die!!!

Just kidding. An octo is just a 2nd stage painted yellow.

And of course, replacing the LP hose with a longer yellow one?

The hose can be in any color you want: black, yellow, green, blue, pink, purple, etc. The length? Depends on whether or not you want the octo to be used by you and you'd donate your primary second stage or you'd want to donate the octo separately. That's what determining the length. Also, where you put the octo also determines the length as well (i.e. octo on the left or on the right). Octo on the left doesn't require as much length as would octo on the right just because of the way the hose is kinked.

Is this possible with the g250v?
Yes.

Any issues with doing this?

I'm new to this, so any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

No issues.

G250v actually makes an outstanding octo/backup as it has a built in purge button lock which allows you to tight the cranking knob down for higher resistance to prevent freeflows during the dive and you do not need to unwind it back between dives as you can simply lock the purge.
That will prolong the life of the seat and the reg will stay in tune longer

I will even guess that for only a couple of bucks, your local shop will send away for a new yellow face plate for it if you would like. Years ago I had a ScubaPro R390 with a yellow face plate as an octo. When I later decided to switch my setup so that the octo was bungied around my neck and I was donating the primary instead, I got a black face plate for it from ScubaPro so that an OOA diver would not be reaching for that yellow reg.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom