Using a Bum Bag/Fanny Pack for SMB?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PugHugger

Registered
Reaction score
Morning/Afternoon/Evening to wherever you are in the world!

I am a recreational diver. I like to stick to tropical water and flat out refuse to dive in anything less than 23C/74F with a strong preference for 28C/83F and above! I have a ScubaPro LadyHawk and on our last trip my SMB was annoying me a bit being clipped on my BCD.

I saw on ASOS of all places that there are neoprene bum bags/fanny packs that are apparently fashionable at the moment... what I was thinking was to buy one of these to place my SMB in (and possibly a couple of other smaller items as I accrue things).

Is this a completely silly idea (apart from fashion wise... I expect the husband to laugh me out of the ocean)? I really like my BCD and have no intention of changing it given it has less than 50 dives on it but would like a better solution for storing my SMB... In Australia we are a bit more limited with what brands and items we can access at our LDS...

Any thoughts or views would be welcome and thank you all :)

I had a DiveRite one for an SMB that I gave away..... I didn't like things dangling off my butt.

I suspect the zip likely would not live up that long on the cheap brand I am looking at... I'll need to consider if I should splurge straight up or do a cheap testing item knowing the bag won't last but the idea might stick. I resent buying items knowing they won't last though... The issue of course is the demand for investment neoprene bum bags is understandably low!

No pockets? I place mine with a rather large spool in my pocket zipped closed. I usually forget it’s there.

So make it. Cut the zipper out, sew a flap and some Velcro and problem solved. :wink:

Reeks of effort - but I concede - not a ridiculous idea! I'd like to think I would have thought of it myself eventually..

No pockets? I place mine with a rather large spool in my pocket zipped closed. I usually forget it’s there.

The Lady hawk has one drop down/roll down pocket which hangs to about mid thight when in use. Not practical and the weakest point of the BCD for my purposes. It is cumbersome and I'm concerned it would drag on the reef if I put the SMB into it as it is quite long.

Buy an extern
Reeks of effort - but I concede - not a ridiculous idea! I'd like to think I would have thought of it myself eventually..

The Lady hawk has one drop down/roll down pocket which hangs to about mid thight when in use. Not practical and the weakest point of the BCD for my purposes. It is cumbersome and I'm concerned it would drag on the reef if I put the SMB into it as it is quite long.
buy an external weight pocket?

Buy an extern

buy an external weight pocket?

I looked at this but could not find much on our market that looked like it would work. I might also be being dumb but I was not sure where I was meant to attach said pocket to... actually primarily I'm being dumb. The bumbag seemed like an easy solution...

Come on, get ingenious! Google “ scuba pocket” and pick something....

Back
Top Bottom