USIA Techniflex review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Marie13

Great Lakes Mermaid
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I posted about my suit briefly in another thread, but that was when it had barely gotten wet. :wink:

I like cold weather, but hate cold water, and knew since I was going to be diving in the upper Midwest that I might as well dive dry from the beginning. My LDS is Dive Right in Scuba, which puts all OW students that want in dry suits for the check out dives. You can also do the dry suit specialty at the same time as OW, if you like. The rental Fusion didn't fit. Tight across the chest, which restricted my arm range of motion. Arms and legs too long. Then the struggle getting into it, which I rate lower than getting into a wetsuit (which I've only had the privilege of watching) and higher than the 20 minute contortion dance of getting into pantyhose. All three are the work of the devil! Then there's the placement of the danged zipper, which I just loathe. I did a one hour pool session in it, which was the only time I had to be in it. There was only one suit in the shop that fit me. Believe me, we tried multiple times.

I learned that USIA offers custom suits for a very reasonable cost in another SB thread. But there are a dearth of reviews. This is partially to remedy that.

The night of my SDI digital review class, I was mentioning that I intended to order a drysuit over the winter to one of the guys in the shop. Out comes Mike, who tells me DRIS would work with USIA to have my suit to me in time to do my OW dives in it. I jumped. I got a custom suit since I don't fit the stock sizes (I'm 5'5" and round). My suit arrived September 16, the day before my OW dive weekend. I only ended up going Dive 1 that weekend (that Saturday was just not a good day for me, but I was able Dive 1 done the next day due to a very patient instructor). I got my suit wet and found it didn't leak. I ended up getting certified this Sunday, Oct. 2 (OW/DS). Yay! :) :rain::yeahbaby:

I couldn't tell you how USIA managed to turn my suit around in about 2 weeks when normal delivery time is about 4 weeks. I guess it helps to go through their largest dealer. :) Mike was very patient dealing with my multiple emails worried that my suit wasn't going to arrive in time and that I would have to do my dives in the rental Fusion.

Suit fits pretty well. It's a bit big in the chest, but I can deal with that. Pretty easy to get on and off. I got the Si Tech replaceable seal system with silicone seals. I ended up getting the Si Tech Glove Lock Dry Glove system later. I got neoprene socks, which turn out to have rubber reinforced soles, as I wanted separate boots. I got the Velcro pockets. It's got the brass YYK zipper.

I had user error leaks on Saturday, when my undergarment apparently got caught in the wrist seals. Arms were just a bit damp. No big deal. I stayed nice and warm in the water when we went lower than the thermocline, just had to add a bit of air to my suit. It's wonderful just dealing with wet hair when I get out of the water!

I was originally looking at getting a DUI suit, but the $3K cost caused me (and my budget) to choke. I got the suit I wanted (including pockets, which are extras with DUI) for about $1K less than DUI. USIA's custom price is only $150 over the stock size price. And I was able to get a girly accent color - purple! Mike said it was the first purple trimmed suit they've seen. :)

I think I'll take it in over the winter to get a daisy chain put in the pockets, plus a P-valve. Dealing with the suit and fleece onesie in a porta potty at the quarry (and sleeves dragging on the floor, which skeeved me out) during check out dive weekend was enough to convince me that gluing a She-P to my lady bits is a necessary evil! :oops:

I keep recommending USIA/Techniflex. Good value for the money, especially if you need a custom suit. DRIS simply rocks. I can go in to pick something up and end up yakking for nearly an hour. My fave new hangout.

Pic from when I picked up my suit. A non-diving friend, who I'll admit has some odd ideas, said I looked "disreputable" and that she'd report me to the authorities if she saw me on the train during her commute!

image.jpeg

Last edited:
Thank you for this info, especially the P-valve, that is on my list too.

The only drawback is the amount of weight I have to wear with it, which has no bearing on the suit! 16 lbs with just UnderAmour on underneath, 18-20 lbs with fleece onesie. That's on top of a 6 lb back plate. I'm just naturally floaty. :wink: Looking forward to eventually getting rid of some of the weight!

I thought that purple was the color of Kings???? :)

Congratulations!!! Please keep us posted on your diving adventures with the suit.

I'm out to Gilboa this weekend with the Great Lakes Wrecking Crew and back out to Haigh on the 16th for DRIS' underwater pumpkin carving contest. I refer to this as "Dunkin Punkin" and a friend is helping me with my costume (which will be worn underwater - bonus points!).

Next summer will be Thunder Bay/Lake Huron, off Alpena, MI (I was a newspaper reporter up there in 1991-92, right out of school with my journalism degree, and haven't been back since) and then Little Cayman next August. A friend emailed me Thursday about the Little Cayman trip she's planning, and that gave me added incentive to get 'er done this weekend. :)

Last edited:
Thanks for the review Marie. How flexible/stretchy is the material?

Looking good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You going to dive with me at the Pumpkin dive and put some more battle scars on that pretty suit or what???

I need a dive buddy for Dunkin Punkin, so you'd work as well as anyone! :) My suit has got more knee scuffs on it from this weekend!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom