usia drysutis

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I understand the fit part of your complaint, and thats your fault or the LDS for putting you in the wrong size. However you keep throwing out words like "ill functioning" and "lackluster performance" without any examples to illustrate your point other than it was to big. The suit either works or it doesn't. Are you talking about the valves not performing ? You need to clarify.

Or is that you just have a axe to grind because you bought the wrong size and your embarrrased. I'm not exactly sure why I'm defending theses suits, we don't even sell them. It's just that your post made no sense.

Paul

To clarify:
The suit is for me a poor fitting suit off the rack. This leads to ill functioning...
What I mean by this is that the gas moves throughout the suit on it's own accord. I have to have nearly no air in the suit to keep this from happening. By doing so, I loose thermal and get squeezed. Even the boots when they are tight collect far more air and become very floaty. This ultimately leads to lackluster performance.
Dump valve placement is also not that great. I hover horizontally and the dump valve is then facing down. To activate I have to roll over on my side or on my back. I have the same problem with the DUI though. The valve should be placed just off center and towards the back of the bicep. Done that way all I would have to do is lift the arm and shoulder slightly. Again this leads to lack luster performance. Frankly I like the extra thermal protection of the CF200. I don't know if that is performance based criteria or not.

The valves are fine. If anything I've had many more problems with the Apeks valves on my DUI.

Now to finish beating a dead horse:
This suit on me is ill fitting. It was ultimately my mistake for not getting it custom made. At the time I was new to drysuits and was trying to save money. I also didn't want to wait the time it would take to get the suit made. When you go to their web site and look at the photos of the models in their recreational suits, all of the suits are ill fitting. They are all too big. Kind of makes you wonder if that is how it's supposed to be for paying customers.
My advice:
If you are going to buy a USIA suit and it doesn't fit you like glove off the rack then get it custom made. Also make sure the boots fit like a second skin.

One thing for all diver's to remember. Most manufacturers will allow you to place valves where you want them. Most do not charge either. In all of the Dry Suit Reviews that you see, USIA always gets high marks for valve placement. Also, USIA does not and will not stock dry suits. Even if you order a suit that is a stock size, the suit is made after you order them. They are not shipped out of a warehouse. This is important because you know that the suit wasn't sitting on a shelf for 6 months. The worst things for Latex or Neoprene seals is time. Most of the suits that you see being sold on line are stock size suits that have been warehoused. You have no idea when that suit was made and have no idea how old the seals are. This is a real problem for suits made over seas. Most manufacturers classify a "new" suit as a suit that hasn't been dove.

I have been diving a USIA "bag" suit for a year an a half, no problems or complaints. Frankly, I bought the suit because I could not find one off the rack that was a good fit, my LDS carries only USIA, and they were having a sale. I was measured at my LDS, the suit was delivered as promised, and fits perfectly.
IMHO, USIA delivers good bang for the buck, and I doubt that I would be any happier spending twice as much on something like a DUI.
Let the flaming begin.....

gorock:
Are these suits good quality? any experience with them?, good/bad?

Thanks

USIA ....... you would be hard pressed to find a better suit for the money. Or for that matter a better suit.

I've been using USIA suits now since 2000. Prior to that I was a staunch DUI guy. (Dick Long from DUI and I are best friends and was at my wedding.) At the moment I own 3 USIA Suits. We also sell USIA suits in my retail store.

Here's why.

USIA is not a reseller they are a manufactuers. They have a complete facility that designs, cuts, manufactures, seals, and services all the products they make. In the USA. This is for the fabric suits. The vulcanized rubber suits are made in the UK.

The fit us uncomparable. We will take full measurments for EVERY customer send them into USIA and they will within (an hour or so) tell us if the suit needs to be Stock Size, Semi custom or full custom. Stock suits in about 1 week from order and customs in 2.5 weeks. Every one of the suits we have made for our customers comes out perfect. This has to do with following how to measure for the suit.

Product line. The product line is exceptional. From an inexpensive suit the Aqua Sport (lightweight latex sock) to the Aqua Pro Plus the workmanship is tops on all suits. They only use the top end SI-Tech Valves, heavy duty pro dipped neck and wrist seals, a choice of boots and a choice of 5 undergarments that are true undergarments for diving. The materials they use are very durable and actually get softer the more you use the suit. Remember this is a bi-laminate suit -- pack cloth nylon with a urethane backing.

Do I sound like a poster boy ? U Bet. Any quality dealer who fits and sells USIA suits will say the same. These people at USIA are outstanding at what they do. There must be a reason all the Military and Public Safety units around the world come to them as well.

Find yourself a GOOD dealer and go look at the suits. Go to the USIA website and read whats there. http://www.usia.com

If you cant find a dealer to answer your questions ping me and I will be happy to.

Regards,
Joel Silverstein, VP COO
Scuba Training and Technology Inc.
Tech Diving Limited
http://www.techdivinglimited.com

PS we dont sell USIA suits on our website.

I have been reading along here and just have to add my two cents for what it's worth. I have been diving a USIA suit now for about three years and couldn't be happier. It's a quality product and their service is exceptional. With over 120 dives now I have had no problems, the seals are still the originals and the fit is great. The suit does exactly what it is supposed to do. It keeps me dry and is showing no signs of wear. I have dove a couple of Dui suits and they are fine products also, just can't see spending the extra money on something that does exactly the same thing. If I ever wear this suit out I wouldn't hesitate to purchase another one. Like I said just my two cents.

JS1scuba:
USIA ....... you would be hard pressed to find a better suit for the money. Or for that matter a better suit.

I've been using USIA suits now since 2000. Prior to that I was a staunch DUI guy. (Dick Long from DUI and I are best friends and was at my wedding.) At the moment I own 3 USIA Suits. We also sell USIA suits in my retail store.

Here's why.

USIA is not a reseller they are a manufactuers. They have a complete facility that designs, cuts, manufactures, seals, and services all the products they make. In the USA. This is for the fabric suits. The vulcanized rubber suits are made in the UK.

The fit us uncomparable. We will take full measurments for EVERY customer send them into USIA and they will within (an hour or so) tell us if the suit needs to be Stock Size, Semi custom or full custom. Stock suits in about 1 week from order and customs in 2.5 weeks. Every one of the suits we have made for our customers comes out perfect. This has to do with following how to measure for the suit.

Product line. The product line is exceptional. From an inexpensive suit the Aqua Sport (lightweight latex sock) to the Aqua Pro Plus the workmanship is tops on all suits. They only use the top end SI-Tech Valves, heavy duty pro dipped neck and wrist seals, a choice of boots and a choice of 5 undergarments that are true undergarments for diving. The materials they use are very durable and actually get softer the more you use the suit. Remember this is a bi-laminate suit -- pack cloth nylon with a urethane backing.

Do I sound like a poster boy ? U Bet. Any quality dealer who fits and sells USIA suits will say the same. These people at USIA are outstanding at what they do. There must be a reason all the Military and Public Safety units around the world come to them as well.

Find yourself a GOOD dealer and go look at the suits. Go to the USIA website and read whats there. http://www.usia.com

If you cant find a dealer to answer your questions ping me and I will be happy to.

Regards,
Joel Silverstein, VP COO
Scuba Training and Technology Inc.
Tech Diving Limited
http://www.techdivinglimited.com

PS we dont sell USIA suits on our website.

Joel, I think the key words that you wrote are "quality dealer" or "good dealer".

To be honest, I do see a lot of ill-fitting USIA suits in our area ... but I don't think that's a reflection on the suit so much as it is on the folks who are selling them. Jerry said USIA doesn't stock suits ... but there are an awful lot of them hanging on the racks of the local scuba chain here. So the dealer stocks them ... and I doubt that USIA has any control over how long some of those suits sit on the dealer's inventory before they are sold.

I work mostly with students in AOW and above ... divers who have often already purchased their drysuit when they begin taking classes with me. Unfortunately, I have seen some with very ill-fitting suits ... not all USIA, because ultimately how well a suit is going to fit you is a function of the person doing the measuring. And that person can be dealing anybody's suit. But because the largest scuba chain in our area sells USIA suits, it's common to see divers around here wearing USIA suits that don't fit properly ... it's simply a matter of numbers.

If the suit doesn't fit properly, it won't perform properly. Then the person wearing the suit will assume the fault lies with the product, not with the person who did the measuring.

I think that's what you're seeing in these threads. I don't see any problems with the product, per se. But it's not the panacea that you and Jerry make it out to be. At least, that hasn't been my experience. Ultimately, the folks selling the suits need to make sure the suit fits the customer the way it was meant to, rather than simply focusing on moving inventory.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
Joel, I think the key words that you wrote are "quality dealer" or "good dealer".

To be honest, I do see a lot of ill-fitting USIA suits in our area ... but I don't think that's a reflection on the suit so much as it is on the folks who are selling them. Jerry said USIA doesn't stock suits ... but there are an awful lot of them hanging on the racks of the local scuba chain here. So the dealer stocks them ... and I doubt that USIA has any control over how long some of those suits sit on the dealer's inventory before they are sold.

I work mostly with students in AOW and above ... divers who have often already purchased their drysuit when they begin taking classes with me. Unfortunately, I have seen some with very ill-fitting suits ... not all USIA, because ultimately how well a suit is going to fit you is a function of the person doing the measuring. And that person can be dealing anybody's suit. But because the largest scuba chain in our area sells USIA suits, it's common to see divers around here wearing USIA suits that don't fit properly ... it's simply a matter of numbers.

If the suit doesn't fit properly, it won't perform properly. Then the person wearing the suit will assume the fault lies with the product, not with the person who did the measuring.

I think that's what you're seeing in these threads. I don't see any problems with the product, per se. But it's not the panacea that you and Jerry make it out to be. At least, that hasn't been my experience. Ultimately, the folks selling the suits need to make sure the suit fits the customer the way it was meant to, rather than simply focusing on moving inventory.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Bob, you are right, USIA cannot really control how our dealers fit their customers. All we can do is train our dealers, and the public, on how suits should fit. The only reason I have responded to this thread is because one particuliar poster continues to bash us because his suit didn't fit. The reason that one of our dealers spoke up in this thread is because their customers are extremely happy with their suits. Believe me, if a dealer sticks up for a manufacturer, that is usually a pretty good sign that they are sticking up for a quality product. If customers are happy, dealers are happy.

Every year, USIA participates in local Northwest diving events, and I will tell you, I rarely have a customer complain about the fit of their suits. I saw at least 50 people wearing USIA suits this weekend at the Northwest Dive News Treasure Hunt, and I was extremely pleased on how their suits fit. Believe me, their were a ton of ill fitting suits at the event and they weren't made by USIA.

Bash USIA if our suits leak, or if our customer service stinks, but don't bash us and say we make an ill fitting suit. We don't. And if Underwater Sports in Seattle fits people improperly, than I would think that their customers would complain in our customer survey's, but they don't. It's also unfair for people to bash Underwater Sports just because they are the biggest store in the northwest and are not liked by other stores in the area. They have the most knowlegeable staff and the best trained instructors in the NW. Every year Underwater Sports holds one of the largest retail dive sales in the country that brings in thousands of people. Every year, most of our sales are generated by happy customers bringing their friends to our booth. We sell at least 50 suits at the event every year. Look at the people who have responded on this thread. I'm proud of our product and proud of our dealers.

I recently purchased a USIA Aqua Pro off e-Bay. Did my confined water yesterday. Other than having to replace the neck seal, this suit is awesome. I got lucky with the fit, but after 20 or so e-mails with the seller, I was pretty comfident it would fit. I am by no means a dry suit expert. All I know was the instructors at the pool were VERY impressed with the quality of the material and the functionality of the suit.

As for Underwater Sports, I actually did a dive with them last October and saw their operation. First class all the way!!! They are the friendliest, most knowledgeable people I met. Even though they knew I was from Chicago, they took the time to talk and discuss the pro's and con's of various dry suits I was considering at that time. They would definitely be my shop of choice if I was in that area.

USIA:
And if Underwater Sports in Seattle fits people improperly, than I would think that their customers would complain in our customer survey's, but they don't. It's also unfair for people to bash Underwater Sports just because they are the biggest store in the northwest and are not liked by other stores in the area. They have the most knowlegeable staff and the best trained instructors in the NW. Every year Underwater Sports holds one of the largest retail dive sales in the country that brings in thousands of people. Every year, most of our sales are generated by happy customers bringing their friends to our booth. We sell at least 50 suits at the event every year. Look at the people who have responded on this thread. I'm proud of our product and proud of our dealers.

Jerry, I intentionally did not mention a store name because I don't think bashing stores on the Internet is a very good thing to do. Furthermore, I have friends who work for UWS ... the manager of their Federal Way store is one of the people I have more respect for than just about anyone I know who's associated with diving. And the people at their Edmonds store are a joy to deal with. I can't say that about every UWS location, store manager, or employee ... some are less knowledgeable than others, and many are just out to see how much gear they can sell. I can say that from having dealt with a lot of UWS employees.

That said, I have no interest in any particular store, and try to stay out of shop politics. But it's unrealistic to say that any chain of stores will have uniformly good service from all of its staff members, and UWS is no exception. The level of knowledge, customer service, and dedication to the customer's interests will vary from store to store, and from employee to employee. That's not to bash the business, it's simply to recognize something that applies to every business ... and becomes an increasing truism as a business increases in size and employs more people.

Salesmanship is great ... and believing in your product is great. But when people come here asking questions, they deserve balanced answers. And discussing personal experiences about a product is not bashing simply because it isn't what the manufacturer wants to hear.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom