usia drysutis

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NWGratefulDiver:
Jerry, I intentionally did not mention a store name because I don't think bashing stores on the Internet is a very good thing to do. Furthermore, I have friends who work for UWS ... the manager of their Federal Way store is one of the people I have more respect for than just about anyone I know who's associated with diving. And the people at their Edmonds store are a joy to deal with. I can't say that about every UWS location, store manager, or employee ... some are less knowledgeable than others, and many are just out to see how much gear they can sell. I can say that from having dealt with a lot of UWS employees.

That said, I have no interest in any particular store, and try to stay out of shop politics. But it's unrealistic to say that any chain of stores will have uniformly good service from all of its staff members, and UWS is no exception. The level of knowledge, customer service, and dedication to the customer's interests will vary from store to store, and from employee to employee. That's not to bash the business, it's simply to recognize something that applies to every business ... and becomes an increasing truism as a business increases in size and employs more people.

Salesmanship is great ... and believing in your product is great. But when people come here asking questions, they deserve balanced answers. And discussing personal experiences about a product is not bashing simply because it isn't what the manufacturer wants to hear.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Bob:

You are correct. All I ask for is a balanced opinion. That is what is great about forums like this. As for shop bashing, when you say a chain store in the Northwest, we all know there is only one. And when you don't call out a particuliar store, you indemnify the entire chain. I agree with you about shop bashing and I hope that Manufacturer bashing can be monitored as well.

USIA:
Bob:

As for shop bashing, when you say a chain store in the Northwest, we all know there is only one.

Actually, there are two ... but only one is a USIA dealer.

... and when you state that that chain has "the best trained instructors in the NW" you give short shift to a lot of highly-trained and very talented instructors who either work for other shops or have decided to teach independent of an LDS.

As an independent instructor I tend to look at shops, services, and product lines with a semblance of objectivity ... I have no financial stake in any of them. For what it's worth ... UWS is one of the shops I currently do business with, so obviously (to me, anyway) my comments are not intended to bash them. They have their advantages and disadvantages ... just like any other business.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I would like to thank everyone that responed to my question you helped greatly. I was planning to buy a USIA suit but that fell through (not through anything said on this forum, it actually helped me to think I was getting a good deal). The suit was on ebay and would have fit me as though it had been made just for me but unfortunately after many emails the seller thought I was trying to scam him/her, when looking back in all actuality I start to think I was being scammed.

Again, thank you for your help.

Jason

gorock:
I would like to thank everyone that responed to my question you helped greatly. I was planning to buy a USIA suit but that fell through (not through anything said on this forum, it actually helped me to think I was getting a good deal). The suit was on ebay and would have fit me as though it had been made just for me but unfortunately after many emails the seller thought I was trying to scam him/her, when looking back in all actuality I start to think I was being scammed.

Again, thank you for your help.

Jason

I made the same mistake in purchasing my USIA dry suit off the rack. I was in a hurry to get it for a dive trip and the sales person didn't educate me nor recommend getting a custom cut. I know better now unfortunately. I didn't have a problem in the beginning as I was new to diving but now that I use air more efficiently I am staying down longer and am getting cold on my dives sooner than I use my air or bottom time. Most probably due to the large size suit being more appropriate for a heavier person and the air not staying in a nice layer next to my body. I am 6ft and 200lbs. So now I am struggling with whether to get a different dive suit and am not sure if the laminates would be warm enough even with my weezle extreme undergarment. If you are interested in my Large USIA let me know and I can give you more details. Otherwise get a good fitting suit whether the standard size or custom cut of any manufacturer.

jason b.

I love my USIA! I realize that its a done deal for the diver who started the thread, but I thought I'd chime in for the next one who comes along and does a search. Living here in upstate NY we have a relatively short wetsuit season. My drysuit dives outnumber my wetsuit dives almost 3 to 1.
I bought a custom USIA Aqua-Pro this winter and couldn't be happier. My LDS (Fingerlakes Scuba) took the time required and did careful measurements. I have really long arms (even for my height) and some other unusual body dimensions so off-the-rack sizing in almost every brand limited my range of motion for things like reaching behind my head (like turning cylinder valves or zipping a dry hood) or other extremes of motion. I had tried every brand offered in a 150 mile radius and only one basic BARE model didn't restrict my movement - but that was a garbage bag fit.

Nobody has mentioned the cost here but the extra price for a truly "custom" USIA was nominal.

Besides that, the waist-level horizontal zipper is great. Like I said, I had tried the front-entry styles of some other brands (Northern Divers is one I especially remember) and even though the diagonal chest zipper was in front I couldn't zip it by myself! And yes, it was properly waxed/lubricated

The only constructive comment I would make to USIA is that there is almost TOO much velcro on the outside flap that conceals and protects the zipper. Separating the two flaps to get at the zipper is a little bit of a chore - by the time you get one end freed up the other end had stuck to itself again. Since my LDS sells these its not too surprising that many of my dive buddies have the same suit. At least one of them has removed one side of the full length velcro strip and replaced it with short pieces every 6 inches or so. Just something they (USIA) might want to consider.

Again, my congratulations and thanks to my LDS and USIA

Don

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom