User-serviceable workhorse balanced second stage?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mantra

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Hey all!

I'd love some advice on a second stage if you can help. I have an oceanic fdx10 first stage, and my primary second is currently an oceanic zeta.

I'm not a big fan of the zeta. So I'm going to look at getting a different second stage.

What I'd ideally like is something I can service myself, with readily available parts (to order online from anywhere in the world). I enjoy working on gadgets. I'd like a solid, simple, balanced reg that suits warm water conditions (I live in the tropics). I don't dive or intend to dive silty water.

My sense is that I don't need a fancy reg, or a lightweight one. Just a good solid workhorse I can get to know and service myself. If it's big, or metal, great. Dated is also fine - I don't need top of the line new stuff. An adjustable flow rate would be good, but not necessary.

Any suggestions to start researching?

Thanks! I appreciate any assistance.

I've heard that the Zeta can be finicky to adjust/tune.

I'm partial to 2nd stages based on the barrel poppet design:
Any of the Apeks 2nd stages.*
Aqualung Titan LX or Legend.*
Scubapro G250, 109.*
Zeagle 2nd stage. Service kit sold openly.
HOG 2nd stage. Service kit sold openly.

Most 2nd stages I've encountered are fairly straightforward to work on, regardless of design.

*Service kits are available from select online sources, but not directly from the manufacturer. Alternatively, Trident LP seats can be purchased which fit various 2nd stages (refer to the relevant ScubaBoard thread). Appropriately sized o-rings can be sourced from many online sources.

SP 109, without a doubt, is one of the all time workhorses. It can be converted to balanced/adjustable if you like, but unbalanced it will still perform extremely well. Servicing involves a puck seat widely available and two standard size o-rings, once you have an updated poppet installed.

+1: Scubapro:
  • 109 (unbalanced, but breathes just as well)
  • G250/G250V

Aftermarket service kits available from VDH, made of Trident parts.

I've heard that the Zeta can be finicky to adjust/tune.

You heard right. I got this as part of a second hand kit, so I'm happy to swap it out for a bit extra. I got it detuned, which seems to be the thing to do to prevent free flows at the surface, but by all accounts it's just very fiddly to get right. In any case, it has made me think that simple and robust is the way to go for me.

Thanks bubbletrubble for the suggestions, amd thanks halocline and zung for the backup. Much appreciated. Thanks also for the link to the service kit, Zung! Seems to me that a scubapro 109 would be a good reg to test out.

I've jumped on eBay, and can see these two sp 109 regs. They seem a bit different, though. Would either of these be ok? Is there a good website that goes into the difference between 109 variants, or a good dealer to shop with?I'd like to educate myself more.

Scuba Diving Regulator Scubapro 109 ( Serviced and Adjusted ) | eBay

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

Thanks! Really appreciate it.

Of the 2 the second one in the UK is much newer and is actually a 156 which means that it is already balanced.
The thing to watch for with Scubapro metal 2nd stages is the condition of the rubber purge cover and exhaust T.

Google "scubapro museum" to see the lineage of 2nd stages. Either of those you listed would be fine. It's likely you'll have to get the latest poppet/spring/balance chamber, but that's a one-time expense of about $20 (at least in the U.S.)

Since you're from faraway, might as well try the UK (2nd link) one. Like Fishpie said, it's newer, balanced, appears to be in good shape, and most of all, Europeans are less crazy about these thinggies in particular, and Scubapro in general, so they usually go for much lower prices. I would give it a go if Î didn't already have half a dozen of them...
:D

I'm a Brit.....Okay ex Brit.

Hey all. Just thought I would update. I ended up buying the 156, as advised here. I have it now, and what a lovely solid thing it is. Chalk and cheese with the Oceanic Zeta :) Purge cover, exhaust piece and mouth piece all seem to be in really very nice condition. I bought a service kit from VH - Shop Online and will try in the first instance to get it serviced by a local tech shop.

Anyone know where I can find the right poppet for this reg? I'm drawing a blank.

Also - does anyone know if there is a good illustrated step-by-step guide for servicing a 109 or 156 anywhere online? I have downloaded the diagrams, etc, from VH but would be interested to see a more 'dummies guide' kind of approach. I have a vintage Volkswagen that I like to work on myself and there is so much stuff out there that takes you step-by-step through most servicing, electrical, etc jobs on it. Is there anything around for SP regs? As I said, I will get it done professionally in the first instance, but would like to work towards being able to service it myself someday.

Thanks for the advice so far, and the good suggestions!

Back
Top Bottom