User-serviceable workhorse balanced second stage?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oops - see post 14... Harlow's book....

Last edited:
The Oceanic delta 2s are easy enough. There are just two o rings, a nylock nut and poppet to replace at service. Of course you can get the o rings and nut from many sources. I suspect that is trus of the poppet as well but since my lds sells those for a couple dollars I have not looked for a second source.

The Oceanic delta 2s are easy enough. There are just two o rings, a nylock nut and poppet to replace at service. Of course you can get the o rings and nut from many sources. I suspect that is trus of the poppet as well but since my lds sells those for a couple dollars I have not looked for a second source.

Hi mate! Sorry - I think I was unclear. I meant for the SP 109 / 156 :)

---------- Post added May 4th, 2012 at 10:43 AM ----------

Harlow's Reg Savvy (Airspeed Press)

Hi. Thanks! Yeah, I keep to-ing and fro-ing about getting this. I know it is extremely good, but the $50 price tag and another $17 to ship it make it quite pricey.

Hence me wondering if there are any SP 109 or 156 specific tutorials available anywhere.

Harlow's Reg Savvy (Airspeed Press)

Vance Harlow's book is called "scuba regulator maintenance and repair" There is another book by Peter Wolfinger called "Regulator Savvy" that is not so much a repair manual, more a thorough explanation of regulator design and function. It's much less useful for the average DIYer, but it is an interesting book to read, and Wolfinger was an engineer working for scubapro during their development of some classic reg designs. Both books are excellent resources for anyone interested in servicing their own regulator or even just interested in understanding how they work.

Vance Harlow's book is called "scuba regulator maintenance and repair" There is another book by Peter Wolfinger called "Regulator Savvy" that is not so much a repair manual, more a thorough explanation of regulator design and function. It's much less useful for the average DIYer, but it is an interesting book to read, and Wolfinger was an engineer working for scubapro during their development of some classic reg designs. Both books are excellent resources for anyone interested in servicing their own regulator or even just interested in understanding how they work.

Hi. Thanks Halocline! Yeah, I keep to-ing and fro-ing about getting this. I know it is extremely good (it gets mentioned in this forum a lot) but the $50 price tag and another $17 to ship it make it quite pricey.

Hence me wondering if there are any SP 109 or 156 specific tutorials available anywhere.

Does such a tutorial exist does anyone know?

I doubt you will find anything closer than the two books listed..... they actually deal with those regs....

There's more stuff than you would want to know in the DIY section. Just do a search.
The problem is they are unstructured data, so you have to piece them together.
But then the 109/156 are pretty basic and a very good place to start. Do the 109 first, go slow, and don't scratch the 156/BA if that's what you've got.

Some rough guide lines to get you started (take lot of pics along the way so you can find your way back):
  1. Remove the hose
  2. Loosen the orifice inside the hose port
  3. Remove the clamps (2 screws)
  4. Remove the metal and the rubber cover
  5. Remove the D clip, flip toward the adjuster knob
  6. Remove the adjuster; the spring and the balance chamber may fall out
  7. Lift the lever all the way up and, from the hose side, poke the poppet past the lever and out with a thin chopstick or a thick toothpick through the orifice
  8. Poke the orifice out from the adjuster side with a chopstick, protect it
  9. Clean everything, 5 min in white vinager in there are any green spots
  10. Replace the consumables
  11. Reassemble by reversing the steps above
  12. Tune it as halocline said elsewhere

You've the world's 3rd best breathing reg!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom