Question User reviews on Scubapro Super Nova Seawing fins?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Because they are buoyant and contribute to floaty feet and legs. And heavy exposure gear itself is buoyant already. A dry suit can trap air in the legs and ankles as well. There are strategies to combat and offset those things like gaiters and ankle weights. But another simpler solution is negatively buoyant fins like good old Jet Fins. YRMV.

These fins were just released on the market, how could anyone have used them enough to wear them out?
I wonder if @NothingClever is confusing Novas with SuperNovas… Even then, I have had Novas for a number of years and they are very durable… Would not be easy to wear them out. Anyhow, just got a pair of Supernovas to try out. Can not wait!

I have use Go Sport fins with my drysuit often with no gaiters or ankle weights. Buoyant fins bugged me at first but now I like them.

I look forward to trying the super novas during the winter. I like the idea of changeable foot pockets.

He asked why some divers might prefer a less buoyant fin, I did not say all divers or even was there an inference of a majority. It was just a reason why some might not prefer a buoyant fin.

He asked why some divers might prefer a less buoyant fin, I did not say all divers or even was there an inference of a majority. It was just a reason why some might not prefer a buoyant fin.
I do not think these fins are intended for cold water use.
He asked why not in reference to your original statement, or at least thats how I read it.

I was only giving my opinion in a reply to yours based on my own experience in cold water with bouyant fins and not needing anything additional to combat or offset air in the legs or ankles. For me it was just getting use to the fins and bubble management. I personally was glad I gave time instead of adding additional items to my setup.

Though I also agree there are many reasons why someone might prefer a less buoyant set.

I do look forward to trying these out in some cold water. Though warm water too if I can get extra full pockets easily before my December trip.

I recall a photo with an alternate blade, rather than alternate foot pocket. This blade was more solid without the window in the middle and when mounted turns it into a jet fin lookalike. Maybe this blade is more negatively buoyant.

I recall a photo with an alternate blade, rather than alternate foot pocket. This blade was more solid without the window in the middle and when mounted turns it into a jet fin lookalike. Maybe this blade is more negatively buoyant.

This blade is coming out later. I get the sense that this fins is a "platform" for blades and foot pockets.

I wonder if @NothingClever is confusing Novas with SuperNovas… Even then, I have had Novas for a number of years and they are very durable… Would not be easy to wear them out. Anyhow, just got a pair of Supernovas to try out. Can not wait!
I have experience with the regular Novas and gorilla version. For coldwater, the regular novas were awful. Just way too flimsy. Forget about diving with steel twinsets in a dry suit. The gorillas were a bit better, but still paled in comparison to Hollis F1s, scubapro jets, Deep 6 Eddy and OMS tribals (i own currently 1, 3, & 4). I sure hope these new fins are more like the jet fins. If not, hard pass unless you are diving only warm water with a single tank

At present time the Super Novas are what I would call an updated version of the Nova fins. Nice fins, but not negatively buoyant like the Jet Fins or Hollis F1 fins. Scubapro has teased a S-Tek version for their MFS (Modular Fins System) in 2023 (It was supposed to be mid-2022). I have no details, but would expect it to be more similar to the Jet Fins and possibly more negatively buoyant that the current Super Nova.

He asked why not in reference to your original statement, or at least thats how I read it.

I was only giving my opinion in a reply to yours based on my own experience in cold water with bouyant fins and not needing anything additional to combat or offset air in the legs or ankles. For me it was just getting use to the fins and bubble management. I personally was glad I gave time instead of adding additional items to my setup.

Though I also agree there are many reasons why someone might prefer a less buoyant set.

I do look forward to trying these out in some cold water. Though warm water too if I can get extra full pockets easily before my December trip.

So what are we arguing about? :) Oh, yeah, a fin nobody but a few people has seen outside of a catalog but yet we hate it already? This new fin seems to be more a hybrid of the Go Sport and Sea Wing Nova with attributes of both. Hopefully the good attributes and not the bad. :)

You are correct, I did confuse them.

Just got home and gave the 2022 SuperNova model a thorough look on a proper screen.

Unless SP changed the durometer to something much stiffer, I don't see these being much different than the Nova.

The most expensive fins sold here [in AU $].
$81 more than jet fins.
$46 more than Hollis F1 and Forth Element Tech fins
And the list goes on if you want a negatively buoyant fin.
For recreational divers there are some very good fin around like the Avanti Quattro + fin and The Mares Excite Pro Fins and the RK3 almost $100 AU cheaper.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom