Useful doodads

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rick Murchison

Trusty Shellback
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Do any of you dive with useful doodads that aren't something normally found in a Scuba store - and may not even have an official "Scuba name?"
I'll start by introducing my "sissy line" - something I've carried forever. It can be used as a buddy line, a lift line, a current line, a fish stringer, a treasure clip-off line (clip your treasure off to the anchor or down line when you don't have a lift bag).
My "sissy line" is quarter inch poly, about four feet long, with a bolt snap on one end and a suicide snap on the other. Picture at:
http://homepages.msn.com/SupportSt/rickmurchison/doodads.html

I have one of those! Walter showed my how to make the buddy line part out of braided line about 3 years ago. (Has it been that long, Walter?)

In addition to the uses you mentioned, I also use it as a line for the boat crew to lower my camera to me.

Yes, yes...
And of course one must have zip-ties and rubber bands cut from several sized innertubes (from which you can manufacture or repair just about anything).
Rick

I have one of the large plastic storage bins from home improvent stores, it's about 2ft x 2ft x 3ft. I use to put wet items like wetsuits and BC's in after the dive. It keeps my truck wet from getting wet and having that lovely "wetsuit" smell. It also doubles as a wash tank for the gear after I get home. It's also great to keep weights and such in between dives.

-Yes, duct tape. Gaffer's tape is better if you can find it.
-zip ties
-electrical splicing tape- if you've never used this tape, get some and you'll find 1001 uses.
-1/8" bungie, thanks Yooper, now I can't live without this stuff!
-blue plastic tarps
-stainless wire, the U/W equivalent of baling wire.

Neil

Little loops of surgical tubing, about 1" in diameter, held together with zip ties. I use them to keep my low pressure inflator hose tight with the BC dump/inflation hose.

When me and my buddies dive from my boat we attach a 2x2x2 plastic box (with several holes poked in it so it will sink) onto a short piece of nylon rope with a carrabiner on the other end. In the box we have things like extra lights, racers tape, two goodie bags, a spare slate, a prybar and misc. hand tools. We snap the carrabiner to the anchor line and send it down. It has come in handy several times.:mean:

Originally posted by TRUETEXAN
When me and my buddies dive from my boat we attach a 2x2x2 plastic box (with several holes poked in it so it will sink) onto a short piece of nylon rope with a carrabiner on the other end. In the box we have things like extra lights, racers tape, two goodie bags, a spare slate, a prybar and misc. hand tools. We snap the carrabiner to the anchor line and send it down. It has come in handy several times.:mean:

Great idea for a working dive ...
Thanks TRUETEXAN

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom