Used Tanks/Valve Change Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ian Fatzinger

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello all!

I just purchase 4 used AL80s here in Hawaii. I am planning to swap all the valves for the DGX Sidemount Modular valves (two sets of sm tanks) and I was wondering how/if I need to do that prior to hydro/vis.

I also wanted to inquire on the best way to refurbish these tanks. Super old paint that is chipping off in the back of my car lol. Definitely wanting to know the best way to remove the paint. I've seen multiple articles about whether or not to use primer vs. a 220-400 grit sandpaper. LMK

Thanks!

Hydro facility does not care - I always send my tanks valveless. The shop that will do the vis (although vis is part of requalification many shops still do their vis) will want to have the valves installed right after the vis is done so they fill the them. What I would do in your case if you do the vis and hydro through the same shop is strip the paint first then give the tanks to the shop together with the new valves (packaged - I assume they are new). They will send them for requalification then do vis/o2 cleaning and install the new valves.

Most of the big hydro shops will strip the tanks. I've had some stripped and repainted. Pretty sure it was a form of blasting that didn't remove the prior tank stampings. Which is important if you want more than wind chimes.

As for the valves, the dive shop will install them as part of the VIS (they have to be out to inspect inside). I would show up with the valves already installed (loosely) in the tanks. Minimizes the chances of the old valves reinstalled, new parts lost, etc.

I found this Luxfer guide on line several years ago. I found it very useful when I refurbished several tanks. It also provides data on allowable pit sizes.

Attachments

• Luxfer Scuba Visual Inspection Guide.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 91
Ive been wondering this also. Would something like soda blasting or walnut shell blasting work without damaging the aluminum…?

Update: Used citristrip, some steel wool, a wire brush, and plastic scrapers. A complete bitch to do, but got it done and the tanks look incredible. Didn't take any actual metal, but definitely removed the oxidation layer.

I use CitriStrip on aluminum tanks and just leave them bare, no need to repaint.

Back
Top Bottom