Used steel tanks with no paint

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pink_AquaRanger

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My local shop is selling some steel 72 tanks for $100, which sounds like such a steal. When I went to go look at the though they have almost all their paint chipped off. Since I mostly dive in the ocean, would these tanks hold up? Would I need to get them repainted?

I would not repaint them and would clean off the rest of the paint. The problem with painted tanks and especially if it is not painted well the water can get under the paint and cause corrosion that is not seen. If the tank is bare metal just rinse with fresh water and dry any corrosion can be seen. If they have a boot on them take it off and check for corrasion as the boot will hold water as well. Steel 72's dive nice! Check the hydro as well and make sure it is current.

Not so sure leaving a steel tank bare is advisable. It should be painted and if it is painted, done correctly.

In reality, get an alu 80 for $100 and just go diving.

make sure they have a fresh hydro and vis. strip them then cold galv if you start seeing bare steel.

Are the tanks in hydro and VIP? If the price is $100 per tank, that would probably be high around Florida where I am.

Beaware that there are several brands of steel 72's and they have different characteristics as they empty. Some are like any other steel tank and some get a floaty tail like Al 80's

They are in current hydro and vis, and talking with the shop it's just bare steel. I think I'm going to pass of them, seems like a bit too much care and work for not super great deal. Also wasn't even the size of tank I wanted most.

Back
Top Bottom