Used Regulators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok guys. I got a bid on a SP D400 but it's a massive looking second and downright ugly. Does it really breathe that well?

Ok guys. I got a bid on a SP D400 but it's a massive looking second and downright ugly. Does it really breathe that well?

To me, it is a bit smoother breathing than most barrel poppet designs. It has quite a large exhaust valve and employs more "air" balancing on a rather large diameter intake valve. It is a bit ugly but you will have to sport a D-series a bit before you can move on to a Pilot. There is no turning back now.

They're not that big and yes they do breathe extremely well. The newer ones supposedly have a plastic orifice which is not as good, but I've never seen one of those in person. All my D series regs are D300s, and some buddies have the older model D400 with the metal orifice. These are VERY well engineered 2nd stages.

Awap is right, next you'll go for an air1 then it's on to the pilot. Bought any MK7s yet? He might have a few extra of those...

...Does it really breathe that well?

With a name like, "The Scrotum" it damn well better. :)

BTW: I've got a MK 7 & Pilot with your name on it.....might even have an AIR 1. I'll even throw in some service kits and promise free advice from my two best friends Awap and Halocline.

Couv

With a name like, "The Scrotum" it damn well better. :)
Oh God! :rofl3: That is too perfect. No way I am diving with that thing now!

Oops. Too late. Looks like I already own one. :shocked2:

BTW: I've got a MK 7 & Pilot with your name on it.....might even have an AIR 1. I'll even throw in some service kits and promise free advice from my two best friends Awap and Halocline.

Couv
The Pilot I know but what's the story behind the MK 7 and Air 1?

Couv, do you have an original or converted pilot? If its original, I'd be interested but we will have to work out a more fair price than on the D300 you 'sold' me! (more fair to you....)

The air1 is the precursor to the D series; it's the same center balanced valve. I have a few of those lying around I'll never use; I bought them for parts. Before that was the pilot, same basic case geometry in a metal case but a different type of valve. At some point SP started converting the pilot valve to the center balanced spool valve, so you can get more-or-less a D series valve in a metal case.

The MK7 is basically a MK5 with a low-air audible alarm, in a big clunky brass body with a cast-in yoke.

Sorry Halo, I have a bastardized Pilot.

Some of the unknowing call the MK 7 "clunky" but don't listen to Halo, he knows the Honker is not only a very high performance first stage, but also serves double duty of a trim weight. He would love to hoard all of the Honkers for himself. Besides, every self-respecting DIY regulator nerd must not bring one of these jewels back to peak air delivery performance, but must also get it to say its name. HONK, HONK....

Spent some time last night looking through the Scubapro Timeline on their web site. That MK 7 is ridiculous. It would be interesting to see the statistics for the number of skull fractures from backrolls and the MK7 but may actually have to get one just so I can say I have a talking regulator.

Last edited:
Spent some time last night looking through the Scubapro Timeline on their web site. That MK 7 is ridiculous. It would be interesting to see the statics for the number of skull fractures from bankrolls and the MK7 but may actually have to get one just so I can say I have a talking regulator.

I think it was designed in a time when GM was still building two door coupes with doors longer (and heavier) than a Honda Civic and airlines had not yet conceived of a baggage weight limit. And I never liked regulators with built in, cast in, yokes. How much do those weigh? My fully outfitted, long hoses and all, AL Titan Supreme, 4 pounds and 3 ounces. My Kraken, 5 pounds and 3 ounces fully rigged and read to rock and roll.

You neanderthals.

N

Mk7/D-300/109/SPG comes in around 6.5 pounds. I had to get one after I heard the owner of the oldest dive shop in TX talk about diving one about 12 years ago. I was having some trim problems with heavy feet and that cured it. (But you do have to be careful not to become a sand dart.) I used to travel with it often, as a conversation piece. With new weight restrictions I rarely travel with one any more. I do use it for local diving in Aquareana Springs where pulling weeds may take vis to zero. Mine honks at about 400 psi.

Back
Top Bottom