Used Regulators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

uncfnp

Solo Diver
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
I have looked through Regulator Savvy, currently reading Harlow and collecting tools. Based on recommendations I am also watching eBay for used Scubapro regulators for practice (hope to eventually get a few "vintage" SP and Aqualung as well). I prefer DIN since that's what I dive. So a three part question.

Do MK 5's and 10's come in a DIN version. So far all I have found are yoke.

What are good prices (generally) for used MK 5's, 10's and 20's?

And last, service kits are pretty pricey on eBay. Is there a better source. I found Double Vintage Hose and they have some unofficial kits as well. Is this a good source? Any others?

Thanks guys

Oh! One more question. Can I use a "vintage" second with a modern MK25 first?

Yes, there are/were DIN versions of MK 5 and MK 10. MK 10's are new enough that you can still find DINs, also, the MK 10 uses a DIN conversion kit that can be purchased new as OEM or aftermarket, the MK 10 DIN kit fits both it and later generation SP 1st's. The MK 5, on the other hand, has a unique DIN adapter that only fits the MK 5, and you can pretty much forget about finding one, as there is no 'generic' version available, and the OEM kits are LONG gone/out of production, and exceptionally rare to see either a DIN kit or a MK 5 DIN complete 1st-stage for sale. If you insist on DIN, go with MK 10.
The 'vintage' site sells OEM equivalent service kits which work just fine at reasonable prices. It's almost impossible to locate a Scubapro dealer willing to sell service kits.
Yes, you can certainly use a 'vintage' 2nd stage with a modern first.
Browsing on Ebay as you've indicated is a good way to get the price range for the going prices, condition being a critical factor.

The conversion kit pictured does not have the "universal retainer" that should come with that kit. It may just be a picture problem but earlier versions that were used in Mk10 and Mk20 had the same design problem that caused the Mk20 recall for the yoke retainer. This is what the universal retainer looks like: SCUBAPRO CONVERSION KIT UNIV. INT/DIN,300 BAR. that retainer will accommodate the sealing o-ring on the end as is used in the mk10/20/25 as well as on the side as is used in the mk2 (and the Mk5). The retainer is about 1mm too short for Mk5 application but I have used a spacer between the Mk5 body and the universal retainer and it seems to work fine. I have managed to pick up one Mk5 in din but they are quite rare.

When I was buying older Scubapro regs, I was thinking in terms of about $30 per stage in the right configuration and in reasonable shape. Lots of mk5s have light yokes and are missing the 5 LP port turret which is what you want.

Mk20s will go a bit higher but you need to watch configuration there also. I am still seeing Mk20s that have not had the recall applied. The recall can still be done, but that is also an indication that it may still have an older brass piston rather than the current composite piston. Those older pistons have a hard time holding IP and the replacement piston is not cheap ($45 ten years ago just for the part).

The vintage doublehose kits are fine; if you were to get a D series 2nd stage, I put together some of those kits for VDH, using OEM poppets and good quality o-rings. I've seen the MK5/10 kits and they're fine. However, one OEM scubapro MK5 or MK10 kit has three seats, and usually you can use two of the three in a particular reg. Other than the seat, it's just o-rings, so one kit plus some o-rings can get you 2 rebuilds.

By far the most economical way to rebuild these regs is to buy o-rings from a source like oringsusa.com or mcmaster-carr, and hunt for a bulk purchase of seats on ebay or from a friendly dealer. They're out there, you just have to get to know them. I bought a bag of 50 D series poppets (or maybe 30, I can't remember) at a good price because they did not have the tiny balance spool o-rings. I then bought a bag of the right size o-rings and now I have a lifetime supply.

Probably the most practical SP 1st stage for you would be the MK10, due to the DIN issue. But also get a late model, heavy yoke, 5 port MK5. They are truly excellent regulators. Everything awap said about the MK20 is true; a friend bought one with that lousy brass piston and I remember buying a composite piston for it, at least $60. When people are spending $700+ on regulator sets it doesn't sound like much, but at the time it really added to the price of the reg. However, that was 5 years ago and I don't think I've rebuilt that reg since. I keep checking it every year or two and it locks up perfectly with no signs of any problems. So a MK20 might not be a bad idea at all.

There's no problem whatsoever using a vintage 2nd stage on a MK25. In fact, if you wanted the best on-paper performing SP reg around, you'd get a D400 with a MK25. And of course the 109/156/balanced adjustable is an all time classic. Actually the very best performing SP 2nd stage would be a pilot, but that's a real commitment in terms of servicing. You'd probably have to find a retired guy whose wife barely tolerates his regulator collection to work on it for you on his kitchen table.

Have fun!

Thanks guys. This is exactly the info I was hoping for. So far I have bids on an MK 5, a 10 and a 109. Watching an MK20 or two but given the above cautionary warnings, I think I will hold off for now unless a really great bargain comes along.

Have fun!
Yep. :D

I think I sold all of my DIN MK5s, but I know I have a couple of yoke ones left. And there might be another DIN or 2 lying around. I definitely have some 109s. I used these regs for years & years, but stopped a few years ago when my source for service kits retired. Let me know if it works out for you and I'm sure I can meet your needs.

Ken

In fact, if you wanted the best on-paper performing SP reg around, you'd get a D400 with a MK25.
I'll keep an eye out for a D400 but from what I have read in Harlow so far, I think rebuilding one of those is a few regs away just yet.

I think I sold all of my DIN MK5s, but I know I have a couple of yoke ones left. And there might be another DIN or 2 lying around. I definitely have some 109s. I used these regs for years & years, but stopped a few years ago when my source for service kits retired. Let me know if it works out for you and I'm sure I can meet your needs.

Ken
Thanks Ken. If you are thinking cheap then I would definitely be willing to relieve you of a DIN MK 25 or two. Same for the 109's

If you choose to join the search for the elusive MK5 DIN adaptor be prepared for a long hunt. It took me two years watching that large auction site to find a pair of them for my MK8's. One was installed on a MK2 and the other was in a lot of miscellaneous scuba parts. The photo below shows the MK5 DIN in the upper left and the MK10 for comparison.

MK5 DIN 2.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Ken. If you are thinking cheap then I would definitely be willing to relieve you of a DIN MK 25 or two. Same for the 109's

I don't have any MK25s but if I come across any more DIN MK5s I'll let you know. As for the 109s, I'm sure I have at least 3 lying around. Make me an offer.

If you choose to join the search for the elusive MK5 DIN adaptor be prepared for a long hunt. It took me two years watching that large auction site to find a pair of them for my MK8's. One was installed on a MK2 and the other was in a lot of miscellaneous scuba parts. The photo below shows the MK5 DIN in the upper left and the MK10 for comparison.

Trident sold a MK5 adapter that didn't fit. The saddle wouldn't go over. But it could be bored out a mm or 2 and would have worked fine. They might still be around. As for finding a DIN adapter, I started a thread about 8 years ago or more. I never got a single one. I called every big Scubapro dealer to see if the repair guys had one lying around in a box from a reg that bit the dust. No dice. Hens teeth are a dime a dozen compared to MK5 DIN converters.

iPhone. iTypo. iApologize.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom