used nitrox tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i didnt mean to say looking for. i know someone who has two 80s that are only 5yrs old and he only wants 150 for both. he said they have nitrox in them. its a good deal thats why i would ask if i can use regular air in these tanks
There is a very recent thread in this forum about used Al80s. If that's what you are looking at there is a pretty solid consensus that $75 for a cylinder needing hydro & VIP is steep. Take that into account.

No problem with regular air.

Pete

Spectrum, consider that they are only 5 years old, even if they need vip and hydro, $75 isn't ridiculously overpriced, considering they go for $160ish new (iirc)

Try to get the guy to go down to $130 or $120 if they need to be hydroed and vipped. And take them to Waterworld, they are usually the cheapest. You shoul pdy about $30-$35 per tank to have it vipped and hydroed, and it'll take half a week to a week. You can take them directly to the place in town that does them, Alachua Fire Extinguisher, but it's actually cheaper to get it all done at the scuba shop, Alachua Fire will charge atleast $20 for the hydro, and then waterworld wil want $10-$15 for the vip, so it'll be the same if not more, especially with gas prices.

Yes, but if you want to use them for higher mixes you'll need to get them cleaned before you can use them for nitrox again.

No you don't..... not unless you're Partial Pressure Mixing Nitrox. You still don't have to re-clean them if you got only o2 clean air fills.

i didnt mean to say looking for. i know someone who has two 80s that are only 5yrs old and he only wants 150 for both. he said they have nitrox in them. its a good deal thats why i would ask if i can use regular air in these tanks

5 years old sounds like a new hydro is needed and most likely a VIS after the hydro. So figure $75 for the tank, plus $25 average for the hydro, plus $10 average for VIS afterwards. So you're up to $110 bucks for a used tank.

Considering the average new tank is $160 bucks, not terrible, but Leisure Pro just had AL80's on sale for $114. So $75 per tank for tanks that need hydro isn't the best price in my opinion. Try more like $40 to $50 per tank.

So if filling membrane-style nitrox, filling with air and right back to membrane wouldn't need a VIP?

So if filling membrane-style nitrox, filling with air and right back to membrane wouldn't need a VIP?

Nope, not unless you are trying to maintain o2 cleanliness of a tank.

If I lived in a location that had banked nitrox all over the place, I'd go back and forth all the time.

remember also that a "VIP" will not tell you if a tank is clean or not for O2 fills. Only following your o2 cleaning procedure properly will give you the faith to call it o2 clean. So no "follow on visual" will do that. But however, since the o2 cleaning process is done, it's typically followed with a new current VIP sticker that basically states it's o2 clean and dates that inspection. just kinda the way the industry does it.

Also note that you can have membrane-style nitrox that is also fed by a o2 clean source, making it o2 clean. You can also get an o2 clean "air only" fill. (which is the same as a partial pressure fill but without adding o2 first, meaning same fill whip). Divers getting o2 clean air fills can easily go back and forth between air and partial pressure nitrox fills also.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom