Used Legend, new Core, or new DGX regulator?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Only thing to watch for on Legends (especially the LX below, but also on the other earlier generations) is that the purge covers may disintegrate over time. I suspect it happens due to UV degradation being left in the sun too long.

If the plastic purge cover looks dull or "dusty" it's suspect.

New purge covers are available but supply can be spotty, particularly due to COVID delays.
1634746084027.jpeg

Unfortunately regs don't tend to go on sale that often.

I would however consider getting a new set of regs, and look for a "Parts for Life" system. Long term you'll often save a bunch of money.
For example:

Old reg: $400, Yearly Service: (Parts ~$75, Labor $75 (This is cheap btw)). 10 yrs: $1900
New Reg: $800, Yearly Service (Parts FREE, Labor $75). 10 yrs: $1550.

Plus, you have warranty, generally guaranteed parts, and a new reg. Something to consider. If you are looking into your first purchases and not sure if you will be SCUBA-ing for a long time, a 2nd hand set is worth considering for the short term, but I do recommend upgrading to new to save a little long term.

Also, rather than buying from DGX (nothing against them), have you considered supporting your local shop (if you have one?)?
And, if you are considering the AL Core Supreme, may I recommend Apeks, perhaps the XTX50 model?

How about $385 for new - Mares Prestige 15X and Prestige Octopus Package

This is more than adequate for any recreational diving. Mares even uses the second stages with a different faceplate in its technical line (XR CR). Service interval is every 2 years or 200 dives. Leisurepro is a licensed dealer, so you'll get the free parts warranty.

I have a DGX D6 O2 regulator (the unbalanced piston first stage). Very good regulator. The only drawback to the DGX, like all house/small brands, is you have to either find a local LDS willing to service them or mail them back for service. If you are willing to do that they are great values and great performing regulators.

I use D6 Signatures as my primaries. D6 also sells an excursion model that is very good. Excursion Recreational Regulator Set

Hi all.
What makes more sense?
A used Legend in excellent condition, serviced, about seven years old, around 400$.
A new DGX regulator that would cost 50-150$ more (depends if D6 or XTRA).
A new Aqualung core supreme set, ~800$.
I assume many of my dives will be in cold (60 and lower for fall and spring.), freshwater, and not deep. Being environmentally sealed is a plus. Nitrox ready is a must.
I had MR12/Axix for around 250 dives, and I liked it.
I don't have many second-hand options that I can see in person. For considering an online purchase of a second hand, the price should reflect the possibility of an expensive repair before even diving once.

Going back to the beginning, it seems that DGX offers a good value for money, but I have never met anyone who uses their regs.
I know that a good regulator will last many (many) years, but I still want to keep the budget small. My budget is somewhere near 800$, but getting a good deal on a regulator will allow me to buy a tank and have more diving opportunities.
The regulator is my last major scuba gear purchase, as I already got everything else. So I might decide to stretch the budget by a little bit.

Any thoughts?
Should I wait for the holidays/ Black Friday? New models coming and price drop on older models?

Thanks for reading, and thanks in advance for any ideas!
I think answer is simple. Used legend. Lowest cost, one of the best ever made

I think answer is simple. Used legend. Lowest cost, one of the best ever made
That was my choice, and I'm happy with it. With the money I saved by choosing a used reg, I bought a tank, which helps with diving more often (dive sites are far from the local shop).
The math is simple, diving a lot with a good reg is better than diving a little bit with the dream reg.

—deleted— as I found answers in other threads.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom