Used Legend, new Core, or new DGX regulator?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TzTz

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all.
What makes more sense?
A used Legend in excellent condition, serviced, about seven years old, around 400$.
A new DGX regulator that would cost 50-150$ more (depends if D6 or XTRA).
A new Aqualung core supreme set, ~800$.
I assume many of my dives will be in cold (60 and lower for fall and spring.), freshwater, and not deep. Being environmentally sealed is a plus. Nitrox ready is a must.
I had MR12/Axix for around 250 dives, and I liked it.
I don't have many second-hand options that I can see in person. For considering an online purchase of a second hand, the price should reflect the possibility of an expensive repair before even diving once.

Going back to the beginning, it seems that DGX offers a good value for money, but I have never met anyone who uses their regs.
I know that a good regulator will last many (many) years, but I still want to keep the budget small. My budget is somewhere near 800$, but getting a good deal on a regulator will allow me to buy a tank and have more diving opportunities.
The regulator is my last major scuba gear purchase, as I already got everything else. So I might decide to stretch the budget by a little bit.

Any thoughts?
Should I wait for the holidays/ Black Friday? New models coming and price drop on older models?

Thanks for reading, and thanks in advance for any ideas!

Can't speak about the DGX reg, don't know it, but generally you can't do anything really wrong deciding for a Legend in good condition.
Just serviced one ( 2002-2013 Series), every time it's amazing how good the 1st is balancing (0-2psi difference between full and near empty tank). The 2nds are also very good performer.
The components are excellent, I just don't like the 2nds soft cover, which over time can weaken and break.
The rest is built for life........

I would buy this 1
1634631288701.jpeg

That's right I did!

I had a 2016 Legend that was excellent. The AL regs are really good.

I’d go that route.

Go with the Legend.

Of the three, I would go for the DGX, simply because the 5th port makes hose routing so much nicer. I got rid of my original Legends many years ago because of this.

I have a Legend, a Titan LX Supreme (NLA) and a Core Supreme. All three are really the same regulator with more or fewer embellishments. The Titan LX became the Core. The TitanLX/Core is my preference over the Legend. The Legend first stage is depth compensating and the second stage does have the cracking effort adjustment knob vs the simpler and much lighter (for travel) Core first stage and second stages.

I bought a new Core Supreme ACD DIN for $300 on eBay and a Core (Supreme) octo for $180 on Amazon. But even at retail the Core is hard to beat at the price. It is rated Superior on the ANSTI machine and I can assure you breaths as good as the Legend.

My main issues with the Legend are the first stage is heavy, the second stage metal beauty ring (which will fit on to a Core) gets scratched easy and the adjustment knob will stick or freeze if not carefully cleaned. For long term parts support anywhere, the first stage on the Core/Legend goes all the way back to the Royal Aqua Master and later the Conshelf and many models up to now with minor changes. The parts support is deep and are generally easy to get, Forever.

The fist stage hose routing of both the Core and the Legend is ideal for single tank diving, perhaps less ideal for twinsets. If you are headed into tech then maybe the DGX though I think some folks are already having parts issues, I could be wrong and scubaboard will correct me I am sure if such is not the case.

The Legend probably is a good deal if it is cherry mint condition. If looking at buying a new Legend, then I would move over to a Scubapro G260 with Mk17 maybe, also parts support forever with first and second stage commonality with prior products thus there are parts galore everywhere.

James

I had MR12/Axix for around 250 dives, and I liked it.
If you liked this, how about a top of the range model? It will have similar breathing characteristics.

@jcee was only asking $300 for an MR12/Abyss with Abyss octo and a HOG SPG (which will save you $50 if you don't already have one). It didn't actually sell, he just moved it over to ebay. But he's had no bids there.

I have an MR42T with metal abyss 2nd I should probably just sell. Sigh.

Back
Top Bottom