used equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

silverfish

Reaction score
I have been running an ad in the local classified paper looking for used scuba gear. A man has responded saying he has a ;
steel tank, he calls it a 72
Scubapro BC
Scubapro reg G200
Snorkel,mask and fins

Any comment on a reasonable price for the tank and or regulator and more importantly whether or not it is a good idea to consider buying it. It will not be primary gear, I am considering buying it for my son to train in. I am wondering about the tank for myself tho. I normally use an 81 and I rent it. Dry weight is a bit of an issue for me due to a weak back.

I am not as up on going prices as a lot of folks you will hear from, but I do have some thoughts.

If you are thinking of a used steel tank, make sure it was recently hydroed; if it has expired or is close to it you will have to put another $25 or so into it. If you think you want it, it may be worth your while to have a visual done first. If you buy it and then find it is starting to corrode and needs to be tumbled or worse--scrapped, you have lost a lot more than $10. And if it is good you have it ready to go for a full year. Steel is more expensive than aluminum--depending on the valve a new steel 72 may go for as much as $200 and since they don't become less desirable with age, around hear used tanks sell for close to new prices. That means if you would RATHER have aluminum you can probably get new Al for less than used steel.

The tanks section has several threads on of steel v al. If you want this only for cold/cool fresh water, you MAY prefer steel. Or you may not. There are many makers of steel tanks and the weight varies greatly. A table like this might help http://www.sportdiverhq.com/tkcht.htm .

As for the reg--the catch is you won't get a warrant or free parts for annual service. This will cost an extra $30-50+ every time you get it serviced. Can't say much about price without knowing about the first stage. If he is selling his whole kit there may be a console too and the type of gauges &/or computer will greatly affect price. I bought a used Scubapro reg once, and since only dealers can get parts (legally :wink:), I have now spent more on parts than I saved initially. I would not buy a used one again and it sounds like it may not be cost effective for you either.

You didn't ask about the BC, but I see people in 20 year old SP BCs all the time. They seem to last nigh forever and warranty/service shouldn't be much of a concern if you care for it.

Common sense with anything used, if you think you want it, test it out to check the condition.

HTH

There is nothing wrong with buying used scuba gear given a few points:

1. Most equipment that I see sold on used e.g. Ebay. can be bought new at an online store e.g. LeisurePro for the same price -or less.

2. You must get your used equipment serviced and or checked out as safe before use and as Watergal's example demonstrate it can add considerable money to the investment.

Still want to buy used? Here is a better idea!

Ask the diver's on this board what they have to sell. Some of the hard core diver's have a ton of equipment that they would get rid of.......and it's in great shape and has been loved and cared for like no other peice of dive equipment. They would probably even sell if for a wonderful price just because they like to see new divers get into the sport.

I agree with Buff. There are sooo many places to get excellant gear at great prices that buying used is hardly worth while. I would not buy a BC, reg, mask, fins, computer, or suit used unless it was an awesome price. I would certainly buy used tanks but only if they were in current hydro and a fairly recent vis and had been stored with some air in them. I would do my own vis on it before I bought it.

If budget is critical:

Buy online. Get good quality equipment and don't worry about the warranty/service issues (those things can be dealt with).

Buy good quality equipment, as it is less likely to need servce and will last longer. Buy adaptable equipment (i.e. that can be adapted as you progress). I suggest buying equipment used by technical divers as it often built extremely well, and it doesn't necessarily have to cost more.

Buy used tanks only if they meet the above criteria and are at a decent price. The cost of shipping tanks can be a bit steep, so that has to be taken into consideration.

If you really, really know what your looking at, and are VERY well informed regarding dive gear and value, buying used can work out. Most of the time, however, it isn't worth it as you can buy the same item new somewhere in the world for the same price.

Good luck.

Mike

PS. If you want advice on buying quality gear on a budget (talking specifics here), let me know.

I want to agree with many of the points raised above and be sure to add the advice of "Buyer Beware". Do your homework both on the items and on the seller. Be sure the seller is a good one and the items are accurately described.

I would also get the seller to commit to a guarantee that it will pass an inspection by a competent equipment technician (paid for at your expense) and that if something requires too much of an overhaul for your taste then you are allowed to back out of the sale. Much like you would have your mechanic look at a used car you are interested in buying before you sign the contract.

I have bought used gear from parties unknown in the past and have had pretty good luck. Just check your local dive shops to make sure you can get everything serviced first. As for the steel 72, they are pretty common and if it's still in hydro I would pay about $100 for it. If you had to buy a new steel tank it would cost more than twice that. If it's out of hydro by more than say 6 months I don't know if I'd bother with it unless I could get it inspected first. New Aluminum tanks are cheap enough to not waste a lot of time on a used steel one.

Scott

Silverfish,

You didn't say how much this stuff cost (not trying to be nosey...well...maybe!)

I will say that Scubapro hasn't made the G200 for 3-4 years. You can still get parts for it, but the seller really can't expect a high price for it.

I agree, get it checked out, or if you know (or can meet) the seller, go with him when HE gets it checked out. But, Scubapro regs and BCs are built to last, so for training or backup, I don't think you would have a problem

As for the tank...I defer to the experts! ;-)

Thanks for the input . This guy is asking 250 for all of the gear. However , I don't think the fins will fit my son and the masks need to be tried on first. I haven't been back in touch w/him. I am more interested in the tank because it is small. I don't think it has been serviced in many years, at least three.

Actually I am running the ad in hopes of "stealing " some gear. I got a nice Henderson farmer jane for 20 bucks. Was hoping to do something similar here. It sounds like the tank and reg. need to be looked at in my LDS before I make any decisions.

Back
Top Bottom