Used drysuit buying - bad idea?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gottabshttnme

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
As a diver on a budget, am I just asking for problems if I buy an old used drysuit? I could get what seems like a deal on a CLX 50/50 from 2004 for between $500 and $1000 that's barely been used. The seals are bad because it's been in storage for 16 years but is there anything else to be worried about? I feel like I already know the answer but I'm still going to ask :p. I already had a bad experience on an old CF200X. It was nowhere near like new but I was assured it was 100% ready to go. It had to be from early 2000s because the only legible markings were on the zipper indicating that it was replaced in 2007. Upon inspection I noticed the glue on the seams was coming apart in multiple places. I reached out to DUI and they said that's easily fixable (for more $ than it seemed to be worth) BUT the crushed neoprene can degrade and become porous!?!? At that point it's irreparable. Is that something anyone has seen or heard of or were they trying to scare me into buying a new suit?

As a diver on a budget, am I just asking for problems if I buy an old used drysuit? I could get what seems like a deal on a CLX 50/50 from 2004 for between $500 and $1000 that's barely been used. The seals are bad because it's been in storage for 16 years but is there anything else to be worried about? I feel like I already know the answer but I'm still going to ask :p. I already had a bad experience on an old CF200X. It was nowhere near like new but I was assured it was 100% ready to go. It had to be from early 2000s because the only legible markings were on the zipper indicating that it was replaced in 2007. Upon inspection I noticed the glue on the seams was coming apart in multiple places. I reached out to DUI and they said that's easily fixable (for more $ than it seemed to be worth) BUT the crushed neoprene can degrade and become porous!?!? At that point it's irreparable. Is that something anyone has seen or heard of or were they trying to scare me into buying a new suit?
More times than not it’s a bad idea. If you can wait a few months, look at getting a Seaskin nova or neoprene Drysuit custom fit to you. Very affordable.

I bought a lightly used Northern Diver drysuit. Its neoprene. It's not the best suit by a long shot, but I don't regret it for one second. It was used and pretty inexpensive, so getting it dirty doesn't bother me. It was made in 2016.

I've learned a lot with it. I glued in a p valve and dry glove rings. It's been great to me, doesn't owe me a thing. I have my complaints but it's kept me diving all year long for the past 2 years and 90+ dives.

Seaskin isn't a lot of money though. For all the bells and whistles you can get a trilam suit for + or - $1300usd.

I'm sad now, a Hollis good zip needed seals even had the kits went to the tip yesterday
it got hung up on the stop people falling in rail begging for a reprieve as the monster
dozer was pushing and disintegrating everything in it's path in it's deep concrete pit
so I threw in a couple of dozen fins after it for company until the machine finished
them

Because they're just not worth it!

I'm sad now, a Hollis good zip needed seals even had the kits went to the tip yesterday
it got hung up on the stop people falling in rail begging for a reprieve as the monster
dozer was pushing and disintegrating everything in it's path in it's deep concrete pit
so I threw in a couple of dozen fins after it for company until the machine finished
them

Because they're just not worth it!

Brother,
Put down the lighter and step away from the bong!

-Z

The answer to your question is: It Depends

It depends on the condition of the suit.
It depends on how knowledgeable you are about drysuits and what to look out for when buying used
It depends on your ability to repair the suit or have it repaired should it arrive in undiveable condition.
It depends if you value after-sales support such as warranty, etc.

From what you posted, I would recommend you trust your instincts on this.

Good luck.

-Z

If you bought a suit that was stated to be "100% ready to go" and your only choice was to trust that was the case and later ate the loss when it wasn’t, that’s unfortunate. But a mistake was made to have used a method where you couldn’t hold the seller accountable.

There are lots of great used suits out there. A 20 year old DUI can easily give 1000’s more dives (With replacement of wear components). But it’s definitely buyer beware. Buy from someone you trust, or somewhere you can get a warranty like eBay. Lastly, get an opinion from someone with more experience before investing in a used suit. Comments above about being comfortable with making minor repairs (replacing seals) is well placed. I would say this goes for any drysuit diver on a tight budget, regardless of whether bought new or used. Seals are wear items, expensive to have someone else replace, especially if it requires mailing.

good luck

@Zef provides a good summary of the risks. Unless there is a vintage attraction associated with the item and money is not an issue, investing in anything that has been in storage for 16 years is really not worth the hassle.

Be patient save up a bit you'll find a better one or for a bit more a new unsmelly one

As a diver on a budget, am I just asking for problems if I buy an old used drysuit?
For just a little bit more than the figures you quote I would go for a tailor made Seaskin
Brand new fresh and toasty

Brother,
Put down the lighter and step away from the bong!

-Z

Despite my protests, never having been a user of that garbage, when you insist on bringing
your mind numbing anti social paraphernalia over here how many times have I asked you to
take your disgusting crap with you when you leave

See you've forgotten already again my brother Cain

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom