Used drysuit buying - bad idea?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just went through the steps, adding everything I would want and after exchange rate came up with $888 which is actually less than I paid 8 years ago, no Kubi no unnecessary reinforcements, oval rings but a glued in neoprene neck seal (add a ring system in the future if I wanted) telescoping (option not available in the past) plastic zip, trigon pee valve.
still the best deal out there for a drysuit.

Why would you be ashamed to have a shop look at a used suit? Get over it. It’s no secret people buy used gear all the time.
Hah, I can't seem to shake it. It has to be tough for these small dive shop owners.

Did you remove the VAT? I think the cart defaults to include VAT which is about 20% and you don't have to pay that if you're in the US.
Oh wow, I'm an idiot! No! It's under $1500 USD before the insulated suits.

I just went through the steps, adding everything I would want and after exchange rate came up with $888 which is actually less than I pain 8 years ago, no Kubrick no unnecessary reinforcements, oval rings but a glued in neoprene neck seal (add a ring system in the future if I wanted) telescoping (option not available in the past) plastic zip, trigon pee valve.
still the best deal out there for a drysuit.
Yes, it does seem to be the best deal around if you actually know what you need! Are you a tech diver? Is that why you'd go through with using a pee valve? They say the plastic zips aren't going to last as long as the brass. Why would you go with plastic?

Yes, it does seem to be the best deal around if you actually know what you need! Are you a tech diver? Is that why you'd go through with using a pee valve? They say the plastic zips aren't going to last as long as the brass. Why would you go with plastic?
I do long dives, once you use a pee valve it’s the only I’ll dive dry. I prefer plastic zips because they just work better and I’ve seen brass fail in under 2 years and that’s about how long my last one worked before leaking, replaced with a plastic TiZip (I haven’t had a YKK) so it’s just my preference based on experience.

you dont need many of the things that seem like a good idea.

The comfort and convenience of a p-valve are awesome. Once you've dived a drysuit with one, you'll be reluctant to dive a drysuit without one. Doubly so for a tec dive; immersion diuresis always gets to me by the end, and I've felt my back teeth floating one too many times. Given the choice between ripping out a few pubes while removing a condom catheter or feeling my bladder bulge while I'm desperately trying to peel off a drysuit, I'll opt for for the first anytime.

Re: plastic zippers, they've improved over the years. If you'll look back at the Scubaboard archives, you'll see complaints when plastic zippers first came onto the market, but those gripes have pretty much disappeared. As for me, one of my drysuits (that I bought used, BTW) has a plastic TiZip that I simply luuuuurve. It 's flexible, glides like a dream, and requires far less labor to lubricate than a metal zipper. Plus, that plastic zipper has lasted longer than some of the metal zippers I've had in the past.

The comfort and convenience of a p-valve are awesome. Once you've dived a drysuit with one, you'll be reluctant to dive a drysuit without one. Doubly so for a tec dive; immersion diuresis always gets to me by the end, and I've felt my back teeth floating one too many times. Given the choice between ripping out a few pubes while removing a condom catheter or feeling my bladder bulge while I'm desperately trying to peel off a drysuit, I'll opt for for the first anytime.

Re: plastic zippers, they've improved over the years. If you'll look back at the Scubaboard archives, you'll see complaints when plastic zippers first came onto the market, but those gripes have pretty much disappeared. As for me, one of my drysuits (that I bought used, BTW) has a plastic TiZip that I simply luuuuurve. It 's flexible, glides like a dream, and requires far less labor to lubricate than a metal zipper. Plus, that plastic zipper has lasted longer than some of the metal zippers I've had in the past.
I'm not afraid to pee off the back of the boat during surface intervals or just before the first dive. I'm not a tech diver (yet?) so I'm never under for more than an hour. All of that being said, I was turned off by the word "catheter". I assumed that meant internal insertion. I didn't realize there was an external option. This intrigues me but I'm still on the fence without doing dives over an hour. Thank you for that and the vote of confidence for the plastic zip. Having tried on a suit with a brass zipper, I can see where the flexibility and easy of movement from a plastic zipper would be a good thing.

I'm not afraid to pee off the back of the boat during surface intervals or just before the first dive. I'm not a tech diver (yet?) so I'm never under for more than an hour. All of that being said, I was turned off by the word "catheter". I assumed that meant internal insertion. I didn't realize there was an external option. This intrigues me but I'm still on the fence without doing dives over an hour. Thank you for that and the vote of confidence for the plastic zip. Having tried on a suit with a brass zipper, I can see where the flexibility and easy of movement from a plastic zipper would be a good thing.
The condom catheter is just what it sounds like. Imagine a Trojan, just with a spout on the end and adhesive on the inside shaft. They're a buck-and-change each from medical supply houses.

And yeah, the external option is far better than the internal option. I still have vivid memories of a medical procedure during which the doctor was rooting around up my pee-hole and said, "Breathe deeply. This is your prostate." HOOOORGH.

The condom catheter is just what it sounds like. Imagine a Trojan, just with a spout on the end and adhesive on the inside shaft. They're a buck-and-change each from medical supply houses.

And yeah, the external option is far better than the internal option. I still have vivid memories of a medical procedure during which the doctor was rooting around up my pee-hole and said, "Breathe deeply. This is your prostate." HOOOORGH.
I think of them as an evangelical approved birth control device.

Thank you for the quick reply, I apologize for the delay in mine. It's definitely more affordable than a DUI drysuit. However, there are issues I see with purchasing from them. 1) the level of customization is intimidating. Do I need extra room for thick insulated layers? Which neck seals do I want? Which valves? Do I want it moved? How could I possibly know what size rock boots will fit my extra wide feet?). 3) I live thousands of miles away from them in Wisconsin. If I have an issue and need to send it back to them, any savings will quickly diminish.

Edit: It's not over $1800 if you remove the VAT!
Options aren’t a bad thing, ask people here and they can give you advice. You don’t have to order the rock books from them, get the attached “socks” and order from your LDS.

Back
Top Bottom