Used CF200 "Rental/Instructor" Drysuit, how much?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

11B3Y

Contributor
Reaction score
I have the chance to purchase a used (excellent condition) CF200 (Red/Black) drysuit.

It has new latex seals - turbo sole boots. A DUI patch on the right shoulder and a "Rental / Instructor Program" patch below that. (Not too thrilled about that patch)

It has no zipper guard and no warm neck guard. I guess I would add this later? Since Blue and black are the only options for a stock CF200, I would guess this is a special production.

It's my size and fits great. What would be a fair price for this suit?

Thanks!

UPDATE: Bought the suit and got an Andy's 200g thinsulate undies--- will test it all out this weekend at DS, PA. I also got some of those gauntlet type OMS drysuit gloves. Lots of new gear to test out. :)

Knowing that new you can find them for anywhere between $1700 and $2500, I guess it might depend on a few options... but considering that the material is extremely tough and the seals are new, $800 to $1000 would sound reasonable to me.

I have a 27# Pioneer -- and can get underwater with 22# of lead weight (not including my FredT SS BP and STA).

Will I "need" to upgrade when I dive dry? I took my drysuit class with the 27#. Then instructor never said a word about my wing.

I was thinking of an OMS 55# wing from Northeast Scuba --- too much? Or enough?

jonnythan -- thanks for the really quick response! :) Makes me want to go ahead an get it.

I cant believe i am agreeing with MR. johnnythan, but 800-1000 sounds about right to me.

I would just make sure that the suit is less than five years old, and it has no leaks. CF-200 material is notorious for disintegrating and then you will have no suit. It is, afterall, just neoprene. Make sure its in good shape, and not that old...

11B3Y once bubbled...
I have a 27# Pioneer -- and can get underwater with 22# of lead weight (not including my FredT SS BP and STA).

Will I "need" to upgrade when I dive dry? I took my drysuit class with the 27#. Then instructor never said a word about my wing.

I was thinking of an OMS 55# wing from Northeast Scuba --- too much? Or enough?

jonnythan -- thanks for the really quick response! :) Makes me want to go ahead an get it.

I have no idea if you'll need more weight.. going from a 2 piece 7mm suit to a 2.5 mm compressed neo suit, I dropped weight.

What's wrong with the Pioneer?

jonnythan -- nothing wrong with the pioneer, was just wondering if more lift would have been needed. I should have stated that I also dive singles, PST LP95's. They are 7# negative full, approx. 1# negative at 500psi, that along with 22# of lead, and 7# pounds for my SS BP and STA, I was concerned about my wing being able to "float" me at the surface. Total weight at the beginning of a dive is 36# and at end of dive 30#.

I know I have to take in account my thermal underwear as additional bouyancy -- was just trying to get some other opinions.

LUBOLD8431 -- I have never heard of CF200 material
CF-200 material is notorious for disintegrating and then you will have no suit. It is, afterall, just neoprene. Make sure its in good shape, and not that old...
desintegrating. Quite the opposite, it's why I am looking at a used CF200. In the book "Dry Suit Diving" Third Edition, p58, it states: "Unlike other dry suit materials, dry suits made from crushed neoprene material just seem to get better with age." It goes on to state: "Dry suits made from crushed neoprene material last a long time. Some divers have crushed neoprene suits for over 10 years, with over 1000 dives." It continues by indicating that proper storage and maintenance are critical factors in determing suit life.

How did you come by this opinion of crushed neoprene? I am very interested --- thanks!

11B3Y once bubbled...
jonnythan -- nothing wrong with the pioneer, was just wondering if more lift would have been needed. I should have stated that I also dive singles, PST LP95's. They are 7# negative full, approx. 1# negative at 500psi, that along with 22# of lead, and 7# pounds for my SS BP and STA, I was concerned about my wing being able to "float" me at the surface. Total weight at the beginning of a dive is 36# and at end of dive 30#.

All that's basically irrelevant. Your body and drysuit have so much inherent buoyancy that you need 22 pounds of lead and 7 lbs of bp and STA just to get *neutral*. At the start of the dive, you should only be negative by the amount of air in your tank (6 or 7 pounds), and at the end you should be completely neutral.

The main thing to be concerned about is whether your rig can float itself. Tank is -7, bp and STA are -7, so your rig is -14 lbs... 27 lb bladder should be more than enough.

I use a 36 lb Pioneer... but I have a 6 lb bp, 8 lb channel weight, and should be getting steel tanks in the future sometime, so 27 lbs was going to be pushing it.

Somehow my mindset was something like "I have x amount of weight, I need a corresponding x amount of lift." I never had the perspective of "being x amount bouyant and "needing" x amount to become neutral" -- with the tanks being the negative factor. :bonk:

Diving the steel tanks takes on a whole new point of view as well.

Not sure if I explained that well --- but regardless, my perspective has changed!

Thanks! :D

Those old style red/black CF200's without the zipper guard and warm neck collar pop up on Ebay all the time and sell for anywhere from $600 to $800. They're a good tough suit. I bought one last summer for $700 and ended up returning it to the seller because it leaked in a couple places. The only thing I didn't like about the CF200 was the extremely long drying time of that material. I've since purchased a TLS350 at an LDS from one of those rental instructor programs such as the one you mentioned and I love it so far. Also, FYI on that instructor patch, you should be able to pull it off pretty easy. The one on my suit pulled right off without any problems.:)

11B3Y once bubbled...

LUBOLD8431 -- I have never heard of CF200 material desintegrating. Quite the opposite, it's why I am looking at a used CF200. In the book "Dry Suit Diving" Third Edition, p58, it states: "Unlike other dry suit materials, dry suits made from crushed neoprene material just seem to get better with age." It goes on to state: "Dry suits made from crushed neoprene material last a long time. Some divers have crushed neoprene suits for over 10 years, with over 1000 dives." It continues by indicating that proper storage and maintenance are critical factors in determing suit life.

How did you come by this opinion of crushed neoprene? I am very interested --- thanks!

Well, look at my occupation... that should tell you something... As far as what some book says, I havent yet read it. I have seen some CF-200's fall apart, and start leaking (become porous is what DUI calls it) after about 7-8 years... Its just NOT as great as they proclaim it to be. Maybe your experience varies, but what I have found is after about 8 years or so, expect for it to start leaking somewhere, and expect for it to have to get a panel or two replaced. This will set you back a few bucks...

I would say go with one of the Tri lam suits. Much better material for long lasting life. Just as long as you dont cut it , or rip it anywhere...

I was just tryin to help you out with a used suit. What I have also learned from my dive shop days, is that people hear what they want to hear... So... do what you want with my advice. It doesnt hurt me in the wallet... but you, it might... if you dont listen. just my opinion.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom