Use of the alternate regulator

Donation or self rescue -- which have you done more often?

• I've needed a reg for someone else more often than for myself; I use a standard rig.

Votes: 12 9.4%
  • I've needed a reg for someone else more often than for myself; I dive a bungied backup.

Votes: 21 16.5%
  • I've needed a reg for self-rescue more than donation; standard rig

Votes: 6 4.7%
  • I've needed a reg for self-rescue more than donation; bungied backup

Votes: 14 11.0%
  • I have never needed to use a backup reg for anybody.

Votes: 74 58.3%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This does however means if you need to use it, it's upside down and breathing wet - at least with many/most(?) regs. This puzzles me a bit as I'm sure when I was practicing air donation during my PADI OW, they told me to turn over the reg so it'd breathe dry, and I haven't tried out yet whether this is harder to do with my own octo.

I'm also a left hand alternate diver. In the quickest deployment it's upside down and breathes a tiny bit wet. For a longer term deployment I can twist it over my head for comfortable right side up use.

Pete

I had to donate my AAS once on a deep dive when another diver gave me the out of air sign. Brought him up to the surface on my rig. I occasionally breathe from mine on a dive just to make sure it is working properly.

I wasn't interested in the intention for having a second second stage -- I think most people would say they do so they can donate gas to someone else if it is needed. I was interested in the reality of what people have ended up using that second reg for, because in my case, at least, it's quite a bit more often used for myself than to permit donating gas to anybody.

I continue to dive traditional primary and octo set up. Contrary to other's experience I have a pretty good octo holder and clip it on my right lower D ring.

Closest I've come to actually using it was when my buddy gave me low on air sign. I didn't know exactly where we were since it was my first time diving that site. I did know we were close to ending the dive anyways. I reached down and grabbed my octo. My buddy declined to take it at that time and then we reached the stairs at the end of the dive. Turns out my buddy gave me low air sign when reached 700 psi but we had been diving 15-20 feet and didn't need to do a safety stop.

I wasn't interested in the intention for having a second second stage -- I think most people would say they do so they can donate gas to someone else if it is needed. I was interested in the reality of what people have ended up using that second reg for, because in my case, at least, it's quite a bit more often used for myself than to permit donating gas to anybody.
Ohhhh.... you mean like when I breathe the second while I'm filling a lift bag from the primary?
:)
Rick

Last edited:
Yes, that would be an example of what someone might use a backup reg for. I mostly use mine when I fall down.

I once used mine while I checked my primary mouthpiece (it was ok), there was something hard and loose in my mouth, a tooth had come out!

---------- Post Merged at 10:05 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 10:03 PM ----------

!

Last edited:
Never had to use my octo in anger thankfully, but ive used it the odd time to let my primary warm up when diving in very cold water. Also ill occasionally finish the last 5 mins of a dive on my alternate just to give it some use and make sure its still breathing ok.

My daughter and I have discussed using the octo to puke in if we get nauseated underwater. Fortunately haven't had the occasion to try it, but gives us extra incentive not to go low on air!

Having just completed certification OW, I can add on the final moments of our certification dive our group in the quarry suddenly hit near zero visibility and the dive leader stopped. The diver behind me didn't stop and basically punched me in the mouth dislodging my regulator and my backup. I reached back for my valve and followed the first hose I grabbed till I got to A regulator. I didn't care which one it was! But when we got back to our platform, I was trying to figure out which one I had recovered, whether it was my primary or secondary.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom