Use of check valve with an unbalanced pee valve

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If the bolt is left loose, or even lost for that matter, there should be no accident to worry about. A check valve could very easily cause a restriction of flow and you will never know if it is working properly (both directions) anyway.

A balanced valve does not have anything inline. The balancing (equalizing) part is either via a "T" or offset in the housing.

Maybe carry a spare bolt if you are overly concerned?

Thanks for the info. I am new to "the" valve. I thought balanced valves had one check online and one for balancing. Maybe that was just one brand I was reading about.

I'm probably over thinking this. Like you said, I could probably just carry a spare bolt.

Sent from Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk 4

Last edited:
I have forgot to tighten my bolt a couple of times and it was gone when the dive was over. As long as the hose is hooked to the catheter, and the catheter is hooked to your ****, there should be no leaks.

---------- Post added May 20th, 2014 at 05:48 PM ----------

Oh yeah, make sure to prime the hose before starting your dive. You might not like the feel of the air space inside the hose not being able to equalize and drawing your **** down into the hose. Then again maybe you will?

...........or the surprise rush of water when you finally do open the bolt!

Are there any bolts that are like the bigger Delrin ones used on some of the balanced units so they are easily loosened and tightened with gloves on?

---------- Post added May 20th, 2014 at 04:52 PM ----------

Think I would opt for the priming!

Thanks for the info. I am new "the" valve. I thought balanced valves had one check online and one for balancing. Maybe that was just one brand I was reading about.

I'm probably over thinking this. Like you said, I could probably just carry a spare bolt.

Based on our Dive-Rite models you are correct. A mushroom valve lets pressure escape to the water. A duckbill lets air in from the suit.

Pete

Thanks for the info. I am new "the" valve. I thought balanced valves had one check online and one for balancing. Maybe that was just one brand I was reading about.

Somehow duplicated ???????

Back
Top Bottom