Use more weight with AL100s?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Otter:
Why AL-100 vs. HP-100....price?

To tell you the truth, no reason. I dove steel for 20 years and never even fail a hydro or visual. Alum is what the LDS carries and, while I was diving steel, I always wanted ALum. The grass is . . .

By the way, according to the specs, the AL80 is 6 lbs lighter full and 2 1/2 lbs lighter empty.

Stan

Price and the long wait time were the two factors I considered when deciding to get an AL100.

I dropped 2 lbs off my weight to compensate and had zero problems thereafter. Accounting for the changes in thickness of my different wetsuits is more problematic than the tank. It's a bit heavy on the ladder or in the fill line vs an AL80. I work with students (Joe DIT) and I'm constantly popping up and down with small groups, so the extra air time is really worth it. I bought the 3300 psi version. Translates into more inwater time for me

I'm saving my pennies - next buy will be a steel E8 130, at roughly double the price of the AL 100. I'll be totally spoiled with it's buoyancy characteristics. Average wait through my LDS for steel is 2-4 months, and the AL100 was immediately available.

Back
Top Bottom