USD Metal Second

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What do you mean by 'kind of'?

The Conshelf XIV is still in the books (more specifically the catalogs) as a current production regulator, but it is so pricey that I doubt many have been sold in the last decade or more to the general public.

The Navy (ours and others) and commercial divers are probably the only real market for the present production of Conshelf XIV. And IMO, that market is probably so small that it probably is a very limited production. I may be wrong…I hope that I am.

There are so many used Conshelf XIV out for sell, in excellent condition, that IMO very few people would really be interested on paying for a new one (if it was coming out of their own wallet).

The Conshelf XIV has been in production literally for decades and it has changed very little. It is a great regulator.

Oh-I honestly thought the 14 was cheap given the fact that there are so many of them like you pointed out. In fact, I had thought about getting one to use on a pony bottle and was going to call my LDS to ask about pricing...Maybe I'll re-think that.

Wow!!! I just called out of curiosity and they told me they could order one-its $620!!!!

I love ebay

Last edited:
Actually, I thought it was more than that. That is actually not too bad, compared to the price that you pay for some of the new plastic regulators.

I don’t know how much is a new Mares with the metal second stage, but from a technology stand point the Conshelf second stage and the Mares are about the same. The Conshelf will beat it in parts and probably ease of service.

What really makes the $620 look outrageous is that there are so many good used ones in the market and that many of us remember that exact same regulator when it sold for about $100 or less…otherwise it would just look normal.

It is too bad that Aqua Lung is not producing that metal second stage with a pneumatically balanced demand valve. It would be fairly easy to redesign. It could be just like a Scubapro balanced adjustable (109/156 type).

My DAAM arrived, Beautiful condition, Hoses and mouthpiece plyable and no cracks,mouthpiece nubs look unused. external of can Chrome near perfect, inside very slight corrosion, already ordered repair kit, new Duckbill valve, Improved wagon wheel Combo, Silicon Diaphragm (even though original appears flawless), repair manual, and recieved Conshelf XIV to use as second when Pheonix valve becomes available. Should be ready for water in pretty soon.

My DAAM arrived, Beautiful condition, Hoses and mouthpiece plyable and no cracks,mouthpiece nubs look unused. external of can Chrome near perfect, inside very slight corrosion, already ordered repair kit, new Duckbill valve, Improved wagon wheel Combo, Silicon Diaphragm (even though original appears flawless), repair manual, and recieved Conshelf XIV to use as second when Pheonix valve becomes available. Should be ready for water in pretty soon.

You can use a hookah port adapter and then install into the adapter either a three way swivel or a right angle swivel for routing your LP hoses including an octopus. Then use a banjo adapter for your your spg. This configuration works very well for open water use. In fact, I often use the Phoenix for HP to my spg and for my BC LP only and keep the octopus on my 90 degree swivel on the hookah because it directs the hose down and under my arm in a very streamlined configuration.

Of course, the octopus I often use is the SeaTurtle because of it's small size, simplicity, reliability and low impact on the vintage look.

N

The upgraded parts you ordered will make a world of diffenence in the old DA, esp the diaphram. If you have never dove a DH you should be aware that they do dive somewhat differently than a single hose, nothing major but different enough you might want to get with someone experienced diving them for your first few dives. For example, how do you clear a DH reg, there is no purge button? It's not hard but different enough it's a good idea the spend some time with someone who does dive them before heading out on your own.

The upgraded parts you ordered will make a world of diffenence in the old DA, esp the diaphram. If you have never dove a DH you should be aware that they do dive somewhat differently than a single hose, nothing major but different enough you might want to get with someone experienced diving them for your first few dives. For example, how do you clear a DH reg, there is no purge button? It's not hard but different enough it's a good idea the spend some time with someone who does dive them before heading out on your own.

I Dove a double hose in 1968 was not impressed (it was usd cheapest at the time) I then bought the (Calypso J) and loved it. But the comments I have read about the DAAM with that New Diaphragm have me interested again. And yes I intend to take it slow to adjust.

Pretty sure in 68 the USD Royal Aqua Master was one of the most expensive, not cheapest. I suspect if you did not enjoy it then you will not now. In addition to some better parts and materials we also have learned how to tune them for better breathing performance but really diving double hose takes time to adjust. Many of us learned on them so there is no adjustment or learning curve.

Compared to the dog eared old beaters I learned to dive with the Aqua Masters I dive today are far and away better all around but they still have the same characteristics which are a result of physics. Some differences are good, some are bad.

N

It was definately not the RAAM, it was a single stage as I said, the cheapest they made at the time. it looked like gray metalic paint on the can. required a bit more inhalation effort then the Calypso-J. I remember wanting the raam as my dive instructor used one, breathed much easier. I couldn't afford it, hoped for the best with the cheapest. was disapointed, (old adage U get what U pay 4).

Getting with someone experienced with DH's will help you a lot. With a single hose, you can pretty much put it on a tank and it will dive fine, a HD's requires you to pay attention to where the reg is in realation to your lungs. Putting it up high on a loose fitting jacket style BC will amost certainly make it breath hard, reguardless of how well it's set up. I know on my BC I almost can't get the tank low enough to place the reg in the correct place.

Back
Top Bottom