USD black Horsecollars

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just like Captain, I also like the design of the old US Divers horse collar, if the bladders were more reliable. I think the quick disconnect and the dump valve were real clever design.

I have a blue one that is faded and with some stains, but would love to have a yellow one… again if it held air.

If you get some means of replacing the bladder with a more reliable one, but using the original fitting, I would love to get one.

I am not too optimistic, but I wish the best of lucks.

BTW, let me know if you want to go diving at Nubble light or any other convenient place.

Hallmac, if you have one of those replacement bladders for sale, I would be interested. While not for a horse collar, it could possibility it could be modified. If the price is right I am willing to give it a shot. Drop me a PM with price if you want to sell one.

All the ones I have bought before had good bladders per se, but the plastic connectors moulded on the bladders were the weak links, crumbling, each and every one.

It's not a horse collar it's a poddle jacket BC but the LP hose and dump valve and oral inflation hose are the same as on the horse collar.

oops, you are so right! That is what I get for not paying attention, I'll post the horse collar tomorrow when I get the time.

You can get new old stock bladders here. I don't know if they would be any better the one in a horse collar of the same age.

Vintage Scuba Accessories Gauges Tank Valves For Sale

Unless Dan has the wrong photo on the web page, those do not fit the USD horse collar we are discussing. There are no fitting on the bladder - the ones get brittle and break up- and there is no deflator on the left upper side. The photos above of the poodle jacket bladder have the correct ports in the correct places.

Unless Dan has the wrong photo on the web page, those do not fit the USD horse collar we are discussing. There are no fitting on the bladder - the ones get brittle and break up- and there is no deflator on the left upper side. The photos above of the poodle jacket bladder have the correct ports in the correct places.

If I recall correctly the only fitting intergral to the bladder was for the inflator mechanism. I deconstructed mine after the bladder went south and that fitting was the only thing I couldn't salvage for use. It could be a generic bladder for BC's with or without oral iinflation, cut your own hole, or a screw up in manufacturing. Either way I am sure it could be used with a little creative jury rigging.

Yes, Captain it is a poodle jacket,But I'm hoping Hallmac will come through and
open his vault of USD stuff and drag out a few horsecollars,VSS has those new
old stock bladders, I don't know how many but he has them. I think the problem
with USD H's was a problem called 'migration' in the plastic industry.In short,the
plastic was different in the plastic fittings andthe plastisizers (spelling?) which
keep the plastic soft,migrate out from one to another which makes the plastic
crumbly.My background is Skates and Sharks and building houses,all this about
plastic was explained to me by a nerdy Phd plastics guy.But I think he is right,
and if so, It's only to take moulds of the fittings,use a compatible plastic and
we have ourselves new old or old new Horsecollars or whatever. Confusing?
I think it can be done. Or I'll take nemrods advice and buy new if I can't
make it work..... I still need a horsecollar to make patterns with as I don't
want to use new old stock.Maybe 3 or more because the fittings will
be the tricky part.I will have to demolish each bladder to get the fittings.
Thanks everyone for your help. Oh!, and luis Thanks so much for the
offer to dive at nubble light.Starting in April I am doing a project with
UNH mapping sea grass (eelgrass) beds at the Isle of Shoales. Perhaps
a lobster count for NH Fish and game,and a Meso shark project also.
This will, I hope, evolve into a Mass Bay, Gulf of Maine mapping project.
We could meet some time this spring and get together.Maybe talk about
Maine and the dive clubs there.But yes, I would be honered to meet you
and dive somewhere in Maine or NH. PORBEAGLE

If I recall correctly the only fitting intergral to the bladder was for the inflator mechanism. I deconstructed mine after the bladder went south and that fitting was the only thing I couldn't salvage for use. It could be a generic bladder for BC's with or without oral iinflation, cut your own hole, or a screw up in manufacturing. Either way I am sure it could be used with a little creative jury rigging.

Wish that were the case but all the connections...at least on the ones I have...are...make that were...plastic and glued directly onto the inside of the bladder. There were not removable without a lot of careful cutting and sanding. Once removed they are not flexable enough to reinsert into holes in the bladder without opening up a seam in the bladder.

OK, ANDYB via VDH's forum has donated a horsecollar..... This is the first that I'll
get. Still nothing on E-bay,so I'll continue to look. If one or more pops up and I
don't see it,please inform me as to whereabouts.Thanks.
PORBEAGLE

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom