US vs British Diving Vocabulary

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As english is not my native language, if I'm in doubt of the name of the thing I need to buy, Ill just ask for one of them doohickeys with a thingie on it...
They always get me the right part...

Americans seem to use the word 'pissed' meaning, I think, upset or annoyed – I've seen it used here on Scubaboard.
To Brits 'pissed' means drunk and is a word that, IMO shouldn't really be used in everyday conversation – if ever I hear it, it really 'pisses' me off.

It's used both ways in the states, drunk and/or angry.

What about knackered? I use it now and then, though few of my fellow Americans know its meaning. I actually learned in from an Indian girl I knew. Many Indians learn British English, slang included. Lifts, lorries, and the use of done after have, as in "they already have done." Here in the US the 'done' is usually absent.

British - blood pudding
American - garbage

Spotted Dick:
British= custard pudding
American= consequences of unwise blind date

Honorable Discharge:
American= satisfactory completion of military obligation
Japanese=symptom of venereal disease (see spotted dick)

Another Brit word I really like is "chuffed". For example: Many people admired my daughter's photos and I have to admit I felt quite chuffed (happy/proud/like snapping one's imaginary suspenders in satisfaction).

Spotted Dick:
British= custard pudding
American= consequences of unwise blind date

I ordered this once, and the waitress said, "You'll have the spotted dick?" loudly in her high pitched voice. It felt like an accusation. I looked around to see if any of the people at the nearby tables were shocked to hear about my condition, but they didn't seem to notice.

I can't believe no one has yet mentioned "knock up" which in the UK is roughly the US's "wake up"

I seldom use the word vacation. On holiday is so much more appropriate.

Unlike you, I will dive any day of the year, not just those "holy days" especially designated by the religious.

Unlike you, I will dive any day of the year, not just those "holy days" especially designated by the religious.

May God forgive your vacant impiety and refrain from casting you into the unoccupied outer darkness reserved for those with etymological perdition.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom