US Orders from diveinn and simplyscuba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Originally posted by detroit diver
-

SDS - Large dive shop in the north of England (UK). Sells practically every known dive bit under the sun.

Will also sell via mail order, and they are authorised dealers for practically evey known brand.

Their store is a massive warehouse that is chock full of lovely goodies and is well worth a visit.

Jon T

PS Don't take the visa card - the missis might be unhappy with the ammount you spend there!

Originally posted by buff
The prices in the U.K. are so much cheaper for most diving goods-why? I don't know-but they are.

Most things are pretty much cheeper here, however, there are some nice US things like DUI drysuits that are prohibitively expensive (at over $1600!!!!!).

I think that prices are reasonable simply because there is a relatively large active dive community, and plenty of competition between shops - If your shop becomes the favourite haunt of a reasonable size dive club they you will get many £1000's of £££ worth of business from them.

Even though things are cheeper here, I don't think that service suffers - I know plenty of UK dive shops that would rather not sell you something than sell you something that was obviously wrong for you. Happy customers come back!! (on the other hand I know plenty that will sell you their granny if they thought you would pay!)

Jon T

-

For those of you that have ordered from Simply Scuba…

I’m wondering if this is normal or if a mistake has been made. I ordered some Apeks stuff from Simply Scuba. The total on the page showed $475 (yes, I converted to US $). I realize that this does not include the ~4.2% import fee, but does include shipping and has the VAT removed.

However, the bill as it showed up on my card was $515. Now, plus a minus $10 or $20 I’d understand, but $40! Almost 10% more than shown for the total? Is this par for the course from ordering from Simply Scuba, or does it sound like a mistake has been made?

Figured I’d check with those that have ordered from them before I send off mail questioning their charges…

Thanks,

Roak

I have never ordered anything from Simplyscuba, but over here they have an eccellent reputation. If things don't seem quite right with what you are charged I would send them a quick email and I would expect you will get a reply the next day (allowing for time differences).

With regard to LDS's I do believe in supporting them but I also believe in buying online, plus in the UK, most online dive shops are actually LDS's and I may use them one day for fills etc. if I am in their area for diving.

I noticed that a lot of dive kit is more expensive in the US than the UK but I also notice a lot of items are a lot cheaper in the US than the UK (electrical goods always amaze me, it's just a shame we don't use the same voltage).

Originally posted by svs3
Just remember without access to relatively accessible and affordable air fills all the cheap gear in the world is nothing but expensive paperweights.

So let me get this straight... I should pay $550 for a BC, $55 for a mask, $200 for a wetsuit, $60 for a pair of fins, $500 for a computer,and $40 for a hood when I can get the same gear from an online retailer for $320, $30, $125, $40, $200, and $25, respectively?

That's a difference of $665. Suddenly the airfills are a lot more expensive, and that's not even a full set of gear. I'm a college student.. I'm sympathetic that dive shop owners may not make much, if any, money, but I feel no obligation towards subsidizing your failing business.

I would come out ahead if I just bought gear online the way I do now and handed my LDS owner a check for $500. It's not my problem if a local business fails because its market is too savvy to pay its inflated prices, and horror stories about not getting air fills don't scare me. There are lots of people with compressors.

And about that gear fixing... I've got warranties from whoever sold me my gear, and I'll trust them or the manufacturer before I trust the LDS guy (who has more than once blatantly tried to screw not only me but also another friend).

Trust me, I understand your case, but I'm a pretty poor college student and I don't need to subsidize the LDS. Scuba divers and the industry itself need to adapt to changing market conditions. The advent of online Scuba shops are not going to force the world to stop diving.

Things change. I'm sorry if your business isn't doing well. I really am. But what can I do? I can't afford to dive if I have to pay the LDS.

Originally posted by spottydog
I have never ordered anything from Simplyscuba, but over here they have an eccellent reputation. If things don't seem quite right with what you are charged I would send them a quick email and I would expect you will get a reply the next day (allowing for time differences).
Next day, 10 minutes, what's the difference? :)

Took them about 10 minutes to reply to me that it was the exchange rate as I had feared. Not their problem, I give them a 10 out of 10 for an exceedingly fast reply.

Now that the last item is shown as in stock, let's see how fast the stuff gets here!

Roak

Originally posted by roakey
... The total on the page showed $475 (yes, I converted to US $). I realize that this does not include the ~4.2% import fee, but does include shipping and has the VAT removed.

However, the bill as it showed up on my card was $515. Now, plus a minus $10 or $20 I’d understand, but $40!

Roak,

Perhaps you haven't purchased items in foreign currency before on your credit card. Many card issuers charge a fee when they convert the currency. 10% is definatly high. The extra you paid (assuming it wasn't a mistake) would have to be the sum of the conversion fee and the exchange rate on the day that your credit card transferred the money. The exchange rate for your card is different than the one you get b/c they negotiate better rates.

However, check cards typically have amongst the highest currency conversion charge whereas American Express seems about the lowest. A good reference is an article on moneycentral last year or so.

http://moneycentral.msn.com/articles/banking/basics/7369.asp

In fact (and I dont have a citibank card), I was just paying for a trip to belize recently and the invoice mentioned that they would bill me in their local currency which would differ slightly from the quoted price. At the bottom there was a small statement that says most banks charge a fee for the conversion but (and I am paraphrasing) Citibank charges a higher fee than most.

- ayman

I've used Simplyscuba and had excellent service.

The likelihood of your Suunto going wrong is such that it's worth betting the $200 saving you'll be making.

svs3, I take your point that the network of LDSs have helped make scuba diving what it is today, but time doesn't stand still. Dive gear is a commodity and commodities have prices. The internet has made commodities available without the need to go to a retail outlet. I can even buy beer over the net and have it delivered to my door.

If LDSs want to charge a premium over the net price they are going to have to justify that premium. They can only do that by demonstrating a level of personal service which makes the customer think it's worth paying that bit extra.

If LDSs just want to go on quoting MRSP then it just seems to me to be a quick way to go out of business.

Simply Scuba has failed the first test, which is to ship what I actually ordered. I ordered an ATX40, 50 and two DS4s. What I received was an ATX40, 50, ONE DS4 and one DS1.

The DS1 package is clearly marked as a DS1. So I’ll be sending them email tonight to see how I go about shipping the DS1 back and getting a DS4. It’ll be interesting to see who pays shipping.

I’m also dealing with an incorrect order from Northeast Scuba Supply. I hope I’m not repeating my luck from about 10 years ago where for about a year absolutely nothing I ordered came in correct. :(

Roak

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom