US Orders from diveinn and simplyscuba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

large_diver

Contributor
Reaction score
I have been considering ordering a Suunto Vyper computer from simplyscuba.com in the UK. They list it on their web-site for $292 including shipping (plus about $20 for import logistics that will be charged by UPS/FedEx). You will note that the list prices you see on the web site include 17.5% VAT/Sales tax -- this is deducted if ordering from the US.

http://www.simplyscuba.com/

I sent an e-mail yesterday to Suunto UK asking whether these guys are an authorized Suunto dealer and if the warranty would hold up if I took it to a dealer here in the USA for warranty service -- see my original e-mail and their reply below.

=====================================================

Dear Chris,

Simply Scuba are an authorised dealer of Suunto Diving UK. On the issue of warranty you may encounter some problems. The computer should be returned to the original distributor ie Suunto Diving UK so the Suunto distributor in the States may decline to offer help in a warranty situation. This would then require you to cover the costs of returning the computer to the UK to have any problems rectified under warranty, or pay for the repair in the States.

Servicing (other than warranty cases) of Suunto products can be carried out by a dealer who is authorised by any Suunto distributor.

Hope this helps to answer your questions.

Regards

Matt Sydenham

Suunto Diving UK
Unit H Farringdon Business Park
Lower Farringdon
ALTON
Hampshire
GU34 3DZ
(01420) 587272
-----Original Message-----
Sent: 02 May 2001 16:42
To: Public Info Request
Subject: Authorized Dealer Question

Hello,

I live in the USA and am considering purchasing a Suunto Vyper dive computer through simplyscuba.com in the UK.

SIMPLY SCUBA DIVE CENTRE
Waterham Road, Hernhill
NR Faversham
Kent ME13 9JH
http://www.simplyscuba.com

My questions are as follows:
(1) Are they an authorized Suunto dealer?
(2) Will the warranty be valid if I have the computer shipped here to the states and need to take it to an authorized shop here in the US for service?

Thanks for you help.

L_D,

Why don't you contact a local Suunto dealer and ask them if they'll service under warranty a unit purchased in the U.K.? If they say yes, you're all set!

LD,

yes, ask the question - but beware - what a shop tells you may not actually apply to the warranty and remember that if it is a warranty job they are likely to have to get approval from Suunto US, I would make sure that it is not just a store employee saying yes, but that it is based on the actual Suunto US policy.
Otherwise you could think you're set until the day when you have a problem...

Just my 2¢ worth...
Dane

Thanks Terkel -- yes, this does put a little bit of a damper on my euphoria of getting a bargain from simplyscuba.com. It pisses me off to have a pay a mark-up because of the additional middle-man (Sea-Quest/Aqualung). From what I've heard, prices for Apeks and Suunto products in the UK are FAR BELOW those in the US -- this is not just a "high volume-low price dealer" phenomenon.

Yeah, I think you're running into import taxes as well - a lot of European manufactured products are punished by the US since unfairly compete with american companies (But it is ok for them to sell stuff over there). Actually it goes both ways - a lot of US made stuff is really costly in Europe.

If it was a mechanical item, I don't think I would hesitate, but with a computer - I'm not so sure...

Dane

Thanks again for the aqualung link -- very helpful. I may still go ahead and buy it -- if, worst case, something goes wrong and I require warranty work.....I can still send it back to the UK. Best case -- it works fine and I save $200!

How many recalls have there been on dive equipment???? Not too many to my knowledge. Most of the recalls involve small parts that have been noticed to wear or fail under stress e.g. the Atomic regulator recall. Most of the work that goes into replacing regulator pieces is just that-labor charge and very little of it is the replacement piece its self. I have bought a good deal of equipement on line and have been happy with it. The prices in the U.K. are so much cheaper for most diving goods-why? I don't know-but they are.
I would not hesitate to purchase anything from a reputable onliine store(such as simplyscuba, diveinn, SDS-I've even used Leisurepro)- I would only hesitate with a dive computer-so many things to go wrong-and how do you know somethings wrong until it fails-very hard to open one of those babies up and look inside and repair it yourself.

-

Have fun with your online tank fills!!

How many of you have the money, space, time, knowledge, or experience to set up an fill station in your garage? How about Nitrox? Trimix?

Do think an industrial gas supply company gives a cr*p about filling an AL80? And are their compressors the right kind? What if there not?

Do have the time and shop affilation to attend manufacturer equipment clinic for every different brand of gear you own? And travel to who knows where to attend? Can you afford to take that time off work?

Do you have access to OEM parts for the required service?

What happens if diveinn or simplyscuba goes out of bussiness? Will your local shop step in to fill the void?

Yes, your LDS is sometimes seems very expensive. But the above is small list of the services and benefits of your LDS
as well as some of the expenses equipment purchases help to off set. I have an idea: the next time some of you all need an air fill ask your local shop to charge you what it would cost you if some of that cost were not off set by retail sales. Not a pretty picture or cheap. Retail sales keep most LDS in bussiness not equipment repairs, not lessons, not trips to Cancun or Bonaire. Indeed all that stuff is made possible by retail sales.

To put it bluntly scuba diving as we know it wouldn't exist without the network of local shops.

Just remember without access to relatively accessible and affordable air fills all the cheap gear in the world is nothing but expensive paperweights.

Cheers,
Sam

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom