US Divers Rocket Fin users, have you found something you like better

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Was about to toss a pair I bought in the late 70s. Pretty good condition with about 30 dives on them. If you want them pay shipping and a box of beer or something they are yours. They have been in a drawer out of the sun for most of their life so should be good. They fit for a wetsuit bootie and not my dry suit so switched to Volos. If you like the Rocket type fin Volos are too floppy. Out on the water so can't take a pic for a few days. PM me if you want them. In Canada so might not be worth it

Darnold9999 thanks for the offer but all set. My last pair was a pair given to me in the 80s by a student who just completed his OW and decided he would never use them again. They had been sitting in storage until about 2009. I think am going new this time and leaning towards trying the Scubapro Jet.

@tbone1004 has the most incredibly informative posts. Very interesting facts. I'm always a fan of my Gen2 Jet fins but the foot pocket is just a little bit irritating to me but not a deal breaker. I'm liking my Hollis F1's right now but they are way more rubbery and flexible than the Jets and don't push nearly the same water - (as far as feel goes) but they are amazingly comfortable. Since it's summer and the water temp is 74F in southern Calif at the moment (down to 40 fsw) I'm using my Aqua Lung Express Closed heels. I find them just the right amount of comfort and plasticy snap. Very good for acceleration, speed and power in surgy beach diving. Good fins.
One thing about the Hollis F1 - they sink really fast as I lost one in 700fsw off the Eureka rig a couple weeks ago. I found a single F1 that a dive shop sold me - the display model - but if you drop one, get it quick.

I recently threw away my Rocket fins - foot pocket not big enough and stiff as planks. These were not Rocket II's though - maybe those are better.

Ditto. I learned a lot about fins and their composition. Ended up going with another pair of rockets mostly based on the "if it ain't broke don't fix" it philosophy. I have been diving with them since the 70s and really like them. No issues at all. The Jets were decidedly heaver, I was told much more negative, a different foot pocket shape and more expensive. I am sure there are fins out there that are better and others like better but there was no compelling reason to change.

@tbone1004 has the most incredibly informative posts. Very interesting facts. I'm always a fan of my Gen2 Jet fins but the foot pocket is just a little bit irritating to me but not a deal breaker. I'm liking my Hollis F1's right now but they are way more rubbery and flexible than the Jets and don't push nearly the same water - (as far as feel goes) but they are amazingly comfortable. Since it's summer and the water temp is 74F in southern Calif at the moment (down to 40 fsw) I'm using my Aqua Lung Express Closed heels. I find them just the right amount of comfort and plasticy snap. Very good for acceleration, speed and power in surgy beach diving. Good fins.
One thing about the Hollis F1 - they sink really fast as I lost one in 700fsw off the Eureka rig a couple weeks ago. I found a single F1 that a dive shop sold me - the display model - but if you drop one, get it quick.

I recently threw away my Rocket fins - foot pocket not big enough and stiff as planks. These were not Rocket II's though - maybe those are better.

I found that my Lighting (Gen2) Jet Fins were only really comfortable and snug while wearing my 1/4" hard-sole booties but more recently I switched to "fin socks" and added a pad of 1/4" neoprene at the top of the foot pocket in the toe area. This I find very comfortable. It was always big chore to get those hard-sole booties on and off and so far my feet have not gotten cold with the fin socks :)

Back
Top Bottom